Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten Guide Rod

Z-man

I was under the impression that you couldn't use a Tungsten Guide rod in production division. Are there any restrictions on guide rods in production?

If the gun is no more than 2 oz over the weight of the OEM gun, and the modification is internal, then it's OK. The extended THE rod is 46 grams (for the G34/35) and the standard length THE is 34 grams (G17/22). That's 1.6 and 1.2 oz respectively.

OEM weight for a 34 is 22.92 oz.

With a steel guide rod, dawson sights, and grip tape is 24.8 oz. on a postal scale.

No room left for a tungsten rod.

I have the THE tung. guiderod in my G34 and in my G24. I can feel the extra weight in there, and in the G34 it makes a difference for me in recovering from recoil. I could live without it, but for $50 bucks it's worth it. If I initially got used to shooting without it, I probably wouldn't have invested, but I did initially. At the very least get a non-captive SS. It's much more convienient than the factory to change springs, and won't chip in the rear as some do from time to time. You will have to change the recoil spring if you go to a 128-130 pf load.

I was under the impression that you couldn't use a Tungsten Guide rod in production division. Are there any restrictions on guide rods in production?

If the gun is no more than 2 oz over the weight of the OEM gun, and the modification is internal, then it's OK. The extended THE rod is 46 grams (for the G34/35) and the standard length THE is 34 grams (G17/22). That's 1.6 and 1.2 oz respectively.

OEM weight for a 34 is 22.92 oz.

With a steel guide rod, dawson sights, and grip tape is 24.8 oz. on a postal scale.

No room left for a tungsten rod.

Then take your pick of what matters to you :lol:

I'm suprised that the tape and sights weigh that much.

The shorter THE, at 1.2 oz, would probably go, even so.

When I was shooting SVI's in Limited division, I used a Cominolli tungsten guide rod and guide rod plug. The rod weighrd 3.2oz and the plug weighed .9 oz. You could really feel the added weight. With the Glock tungsten rods weighing just a ounce or so, I would question the extra $'s for the tungsten.

My 2 cents..................

• 1 month later...