Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding Precision Seating Die In A 550b

I am in process of setting up my 550B press, but am confused about installing Redding Precision Seating die. Should I follow Dillion's directions for setting the die into the press or use Reddings instructions? For example, the Dillon instructions say to put a case into the shell plate and then to raise the platform up and screw the die down until it just touches the shell plate and back out two turns. The Redding instructions indicate screwing die down till it touches the shell plate and then back out till the micrometer readings are in front for easy reading. Any other suggestions for using this Redding die? I am new to reloading and don't want to do anything dumb :blink:

Thanks,

Doug

They are both correct. The basic concept is not to have the die contacting the plate when the handle is pulled. This would bind the system and create consistency issues as well as operational problems. The redding is telling you the same thig but it is nice to have the Mic readings in front of you.

This is a seating die so how far down it goes on the case (with out binding the shellplate) is not critical.

Steven

Edited by standles