Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crimping

newshooter

How do you check in how much crimp you are putting on your bullets when made??? do yo all use a mic or some other measuring tool? When i read the board looking at peoples different powder usage oal and then i see crimp like .420 or .006 or something of that nature how do they get these numbers. just curious once again ;)

joey

If it is rolled over you are doing it wrong. "Taper crimp" used in autoloader cartridges is a misnomer, it isn't actually a crimp. It is a method of pressing the cartridge brass back against the bullet and that is all. .420" would be a maximum 'crimp' you should ever see, something around .422" is about what you should look for right at the mouth of the case.

Crimping any more than about .420" will be detrimental, it will lower case tension and make accuracy harder to find. Case tension is all that prevents setback of the bullet, setback of the bullet on feeding is the cause of nearly all 40 blow-ups.

Hello thanks for sharing on how to find out how much crimp I am putting into my rounds. I have never thought or heard about checking it until I started reading this board. I would just look at it and use my judgment to keep the way it is or put more or less crimp. Thanks again for explaining how to check the crimp

Joey

Reloading is VERY DANGEROUS when done without measuring instruments, such as a caliper & powder scale. Your eyes are not an accurate measuring instrument.

VERY DANGEROUS INDEED.

i have all the equipment for relaoding and use it all. i just never checked the crimp by measurement. i would pull the bullet and check to see if it cut threw the plated rainier bullets. since they are a soft coat.