Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fal .308

1911vm

After long time trying to make up my mind on a .308 for 3-gun I finally decided on a FAL. I hade an upotunity to shout one last Saturday and I was amassed how soft that gun was shouting. Now I just need little help / advice on what configuration to go with, and the best way to go about it. Thing like barrel length or even manufacturer, is their a real differences between them?

thanks

Edited by 1911vm

i would suggest go with DSA, for the manufacturer. my FAL had a 16" barrel, but i would recommend 18" as a minimum, thin the front sight post, get a flip rear aperture similar to AR's, and a really good comp!!

kelly neal could probably help you out with some other particulars, he has shot his a bit more than i have mine, in competition.

Trapr

I used to shoot an L1A1 inch pattern that I built. It was fairly accurate and you're quite right about it being a soft gun in 308. DSA has some guns assembled on Austrian parts that are pretty decent for the money. Ditto on thinning the front post a bit and I'd also consider the scope mount DSA offers as well. It's low enough that when you remove a scope, you can still see through the irons. I sold mine because there isn't much reason to have a 308 in the vast, vast majority of matches shot in my area as there is no Heavy Metal class. You'd just be shooting for the cool factor while the mousegunners eat your lunch on time.

I'm assuming that we're talking Heavy Metal division.

Don't even bother with anyone but DSA. Yes, I'm sponsored by them but they've got the FAL figured out.

Get a DSA with a "Hampton" lower which has an AR15 rear sight on it. Put a same plane rear aperture in it. DSA has finally figured out how to do good triggers on the FAL so get one of these as well - and they are good. I kind of like the standard grip but many like the SAW grip.

I'd go with a 16 or 18 inch barrel. Don't even bother with the DSA comp, get a Rolling Thunder from Bennie Hill (www.triangleshootingsports.com).

Get the free floated handguard.

Thin the front post to .040.

Get 30 round mags from DSA. Sure many matches will only let you put 20 in them but you can use them for a monopod, a HUGE advantage for the FAL compared to the M1A or AR10.

Get a good zero.

Crush your opponents. Defeat mousegunners.

I'm assuming that we're talking Heavy Metal division.

Don't even bother with anyone but DSA. Yes, I'm sponsored by them but they've got the FAL figured out.

Get a DSA with a "Hampton" lower which has an AR15 rear sight on it. Put a same plane rear aperture in it. DSA has finally figured out how to do good triggers on the FAL so get one of these as well - and they are good. I kind of like the standard grip but many like the SAW grip.

I'd go with a 16 or 18 inch barrel. Don't even bother with the DSA comp, get a Rolling Thunder from Bennie Hill (www.triangleshootingsports.com).

Get the free floated handguard.

Thin the front post to .040.

Get 30 round mags from DSA. Sure many matches will only let you put 20 in them but you can use them for a monopod, a HUGE advantage for the FAL compared to the M1A or AR10.

Get a good zero.

Crush your opponents. Defeat mousegunners.

So are you saying that I need to call DSA and order a rifle with all of this components? And ho will put the comp. from the other place on? I am not trying to sound stupid I just do not know. That is why I was trying to find an already done rifle, ready to play.

If you want it built up for you then Benny Hill at www.triangleshootingsports.com may be your best bet. He makes the Rolling Thunder muzzle brake Kelly recommmended and if anyone can put one together the right way, he can. Give him a call.

Have DSA build the gun on a Hampton lower with everything but the comp. Have them install the free floating handguard and the trigger job.

Then get it to Bennie and have him thin the front sight and install the comp.

George. Benny told me to call dsa he does not do FAL but he had a good smile about it ,very cool giy

Kellyn. I called DSA yesterday and the young lady told me that the gentleman that I need to speak to was not in, I think she said his name is Mark. He is supposed to be calling me back to day. But I have two?? for you, what should be an approximate cost of a project like this, and how big of a difference is their in the brakes I am not even to close to a sponsored shouter I am doing it just for fun does it make that much difference? thanks

Vladimir

Mark is the guy you want to talk to.

Don't ask me about cost. ;) Besides cost cutting and Heavy Metal division is counter intuitive.

Bennie should have no problem making a Rolling Thunder comp for a .308 and putting it on a FAL barrel. But if he does, another option would be to get a .308 JP Bennie Cooley comp and have DSA install it when they build the rifle. Or get the rifle and have a local gunsmith install the comp

I really would not get a DSA comp. They are not designed for competitive shooting. If you are going to build one of these things, it really should be done right so get a good comp, which makes even more difference when shooting a .308.

I spoke to Mark last night every thing sounds like it is going to be a go as soon as Mark returns from vacation. He also suggested a Wilson comp. Does any one know any thing about them?

thanks Vlad

I just looked at Benny’s web site looks like I can purchase just his comp. And send it to DSA

Edited by 1911vm

Thanks Kellyn I will be following your advise. I do have some limitation that I did not put in to the formula. I live in CT. so I cannot have everything I wont. Luckily Mark is from CT and is going to help me with that. JP has two comps Bennie Cooley and JP. And than Rolling Thunder they are all almost the same price, which is the best.

Thanks Kellyn I will be following your advise. I do have some limitation that I did not put in to the formula. I live in CT. so I cannot have everything I wont. Luckily Mark is from CT and is going to help me with that. JP has two comps Bennie Cooley and JP. And than Rolling Thunder they are all almost the same price, which is the best.

When I say JP, I mean the Bennie Cooley comp not the tank brake.

Which is best? Well, Bennie has bought me wings and Shiner Bock at Hooters but John Paul bought me a really nice steak dinner in Copenhagen. I'll have to think on this. :D

Oh you meant the comps? I don't really have a preference, they're both excellent. Pick whichever you think looks coolest.

When I say JP, I mean the Bennie Cooley comp not the tank brake.

Which is best? Well, Bennie has bought me wings and Shiner Bock at Hooters but John Paul bought me a really nice steak dinner in Copenhagen. I'll have to think on this. :D

Oh you meant the comps? I don't really have a preference, they're both excellent. Pick whichever you think looks coolest.

Hey Kellyn I was not asking whom you (liked more) :wub: and yes I was talking about comps. But the question was between Bennie’s and rolling thunder. But your answer is good the coolest it is. Thanks for all the info. Vlad