Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Locked Up Subcompact

kevin c

Brand new G27 with all stock parts (except new Dawson sights). I was sighting it in for the GSSF match coming up in three days when I suddenly got three misfires in a row. Each had a slight primer dent from the tip of the FP. I figured something was in the FP channel and tried to take the gun apart. No go.

The slide will come back fully, but will not completely go forward into battery. It's only about a eighth of an inch out, enough so that I can actually pull the trigger and get the FP to release, but will not close further. The end of the captured dual spring guide rod is protruding forward off the front of the slide by roughly the same amount, and is actually forward of the muzzle crown by a bit. I cannot get the slide off - it will not move forward with the standard takedown procedure (pulling the trigger, partially retracting the slide and pushing down the take down lever).

I can take it to the armorer at the match, but would like to know now what is screwed up so I can try to fix it and finish sighting in the gun (it's way off with the new sights - I need to get a higher front post).

Any ideas? :blink:<_<:(

TIA,

Kevin

Lock the slide back, invert pistol and follow the steps to take the slide apart. Push the striker down, carefully remove the back plate and the internals there, then move your slide forward.

Had mine lock up and unable to remove when I tried a LW connector. That's what I did and it worked for me.

Slide back plate off and remove extractor depressor plunger, spring, and striker/firing pin assembly. That should allow you to remove the slide going forward. Do not have an idea on "why" it did what it did.

-br

Thankee, gents. I'll try that tonight. I'll report back on what I find.

Kevin C

Kevin, can you bring it by on Friday? The Glock guys should (Chris & crew) should be there to help Gunar and myself, they should be able to fix it...

michaels

Still locked up, daggummit, even after getting the back end guts out of the slide.

I can't make it Friday, but I'm not shooting until Sunday.

I'll bring it to the armorer Saturday. I've got a loaner 9mm subcompact to shoot if needs be.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, if you have your sight pusher, I might need it, TIA.

Kevin

I'm willing to bet its a recoil spring/guide rod problem, where the guide rod slipped down. I'm not recommending, and I'm not a gunsmith or even a Glock Armorer, but I had that happen to me, and held the take down lever down, and took a rubber mallet to the back of the slide. It came off with no damage done to my gun.

Again, not a recommendation, just experience on what I did.

If you can pull the slide lock down AND if you don't have the FP assembly in the gun when you can do that, then the recoil spring assembly is no longer "assembled" and has log jammed the slide and receiver together.

If you want to try to get it apart, get a helper to hold the slide lock down and make sure the firing pin is either forward (fired position) or removed from the gun per the previous instruction. Take a rubber mallet and tap the slide off the gun. Wear eye pro since there is a possibility that the springs will come flying out when the slide comes off the frame.

Or....you can watch the armorers at the match do it....

Wayne

Yeppers.

The armorer beat the slide off w/ a (plastic tipped) brass mallet.

It was the sights - I overtightened the front sight screw and after fify or so rounds a piece came off the screw head and ended up stuck to one of the bearing surfaces of the barrel.

Problem's gone now - put on the adjustable Glock sight that I swapped out of my G35 for another set of Dawsons and shot the black dwarf that way. Shot just dandy (the gun I mean; I did my usual hyperdynamic gale force intake of atmosphere...).

Thanks for all your suggestions.

kevin c