Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Soldering In Front Sights

EricW

A real gunsmith would drill a hole through the sight and slide then just break off the drill bit. Don't worry if some is sticking through the slide. It will wear a groove in the barrel after a few shots.

Did I hear slot car? Boy does that bring back memories of the 60's. I made tons of spending money rewinding those motors.

This forum borders on "my right front tire is flat, please advise what type of vehicle I need to buy to replace it".

<_<

'splain lucy. All I wanted to know was how to permanently attach my sight. If I posted "My sight fell out, and now I want to buy an SV Tiki with a hicap frame" I could understand your comment.

Edited by EricW

Alright, here is my secret formula. I cut the dovetail on my slide slightly too deep by mistake so I had to find a way to hold the front sight in that would not break loose. This was made specially hard because my .40 seems to eat front sights. have actually broken loose full blades (they broke off the dovetail base).

What I finally did was cut a small piece of brass from a .45 case and wedged it under the sight base. Drove the sight in clean and put thin super glue on both sides of the dovetail. 30,000 rounds later no problem as long as you don't dip the slide in acetone - but that would melt the fibre optic also.

Sounds kind of Rube Goldberg, but it really works - what's the old saying "you can fix anything with duct tape and super glue."