Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

California Competition Works Cylinder Release

AFDavis11

I bought an after market Cylinder Release and it doesn't work. Won't open the cylinder. Does EVERYTHING with a revolver have to be so stinking difficult! Harrg! I can't even begin to imagine the simple stupid thing I must be overlooking thats making it not work. Screw it on and it moves but won't release the cylinder. I put the original back on and wham!, everything is fine again. I can't see any thing different on the underside of either part (replacement or factory). Any ideas?

AF,

It should work just fine.

Does it move freely in the slot?

Is the portion that fits in the track out of shape or not true. If it is rubbing on the sides it will stop your forward travel. This is would stop you from depressing the center pin in your cylinder.

Try putting in the factory release. move it as far forward as possible and mark the position of the screw on the frame. Then put in the new release and see how far forward the travel is.

You may just need to make a few passes with a stone to make it fit properly.

Hope this helps. :)

Jim

Take a look at the front of the piece that fits in the slot. It needs a little help from a file. Keep the same radius. It's not depressing the center pin far enough.

I have a couple and had remove a little metal for smooth function.

Edited by Viggen

Take a look at the front of the piece that fits in the slot. It needs a little help from a file. Keep the same radius. It's not depressing the center pin far enough.

I have a couple and had remove a little metal for smooth function.

Yea, taking a little metal off the front will allow it to go forward a little farther. You probably could start with an open cylinder, note the bolt plunger position on the breach face then change the release and look at it again verifing that the plunger is slightly recessed.

Yea, that did it...I dremeled the sucker into oblivion and it finally pushed far enough to release the cylinder.

Now atleast it functions, well good enough to see that now it catches extracting moonclips on the way out of the cylinder. Maybe I'll dremel it down until it looks like a factory release..... LOL...

I think this is another live and learn moment for me.....

Yea, that did it...I dremeled the sucker into oblivion and it finally pushed far enough to release the cylinder.

Now atleast it functions, well good enough to see that now it catches extracting moonclips on the way out of the cylinder. Maybe I'll dremel it down until it looks like a factory release..... LOL...

I think this is another live and learn moment for me.....

It is necessary to take a bit off the bottom of the thumbpiece and angel it.

There are a couple of angles that need to be worked on. It was a surprise when I got mine but with a little file work they are fine.

The thumb presses mostly on the top of the piece, a lot of the bottom can be removed. Be careful and take a little at a time.

Now atleast it functions, well good enough to see that now it catches extracting moonclips on the way out of the cylinder.

It isn't supposed to stick out in front of the breachface but be flush. :(

On that SDM, other than the checkering LPI, what is the difference from the factory piece?

I tried the Ed Brown and took it back off. The factory was better. The Brown is so steep it felt like I was hitting a wall when I would release the cylinder. This caused me to just use the top edge

AF - Glad you got your shooter going. ;)

Jim

On that SDM, other than the checkering LPI, what is the difference from the factory piece?

I tried the Ed Brown and took it back off. The factory was better. The Brown is so steep it felt like I was hitting a wall when I would release the cylinder. This caused me to just use the top edge

AF - Glad you got your shooter going. ;)

Jim

Randy Lee redid an Ed Brown for me and turned it into a work of art. All cylinder releases benefit from the relieving of the front of inner metal circle to allow full travel of the release mechanism. It is something that is easy to forget to do (Thanks Bubber)

Edited by underlug