Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun scoring

Flexmoney

Here is the course of fire:

Five full size poppers.  One of the poppers activates a thrower, which tosses two birds which disappear over the berm if you don't get them.  Another popper activates a second thrower that tosses a bird strainght at you at a high rate of speed (I don't think anyone got that one).  40 points total.

They scored the birds as misses and a failure to engage (minus 10 each).  Some of the guys shot their five steel and missed the birds (25 - 30 = zero for the stage).

USPSA 14th ed., section 12.5 (deals with scoring rifle and shotgun).

The book doesn't mention disappearing targets in the rifle/shotgun section.  I would assume you wuld defer to the pistol rules...which state that you don't incur misses on disappearing targets.

How should it be???

Yes at our clubs we have found that usually just shooting the steel and forgetting about the birds leads to a better score if there are no miss or failure to engage penalties. This is a problem with some stages and how they are scored.It reallly sucks to zero a stage like that with those penalties.

Bill

It would not be possible nor per the rules to give a failure to engage penatilies on disappearing targets.  What if my gun jammed at the moment the birds were let loose, I would get a double penalty?  What you should do is make the birds worth more points to intice people to try and shoot them.  Like 10 points each instead of 5.