Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA:  Skateboard Tape on a CDP?

DogmaDog

Hey all,

Is it IDPA legal to put skateboard tape on a Custom Defensive Pistol?

This is not specifically listed as an allowed mod in the division, but checkering or serrating the frontstrap are allowed, and skate tape is allowed in SSP and BUG divisions.  

I can't think of any reason why it should be disallowed, unless, as the proud and elite owner of a Custom Defensive Pistol, such mods are simply beneath me.  Or is it just an ommission by the IDPA rules people?

Thanks,

DogmaDog

Cool.

I don't think it could be any tackier than the $8 "slip on front strap checkering" I got from Wilson Combat...it's like a piece of checkered steel foil that you attach underneath the handguards.  Every time you shoot it rides down the front of the frontstrap.

So, yeah...less than a buck on grip tape, or ~$100 and a trip to the gunsmith.  

And just watch me pull an ollie-stalefish-boneless on the draw, and put two shots in the A zone and a tail-tap on the head in 2.94 seconds!

Yeah!  Shred!

DogmaDog

You rang?

Oh, wait.. anyway.. actually I got the 'Shred' handle when I was a windsurfing fool. (now on windy days I just pile bigger rocks on the target stands..)

But.. there really is a thread-applicable point to all this, I think.

Way back when we used to add a grippy surface to our boards by means of a 'sugar-deck', which meant laying down a coat of epoxy on the board, sprinkling a bunch of sugar crystals on the tacky surface, then epoxy coating it again. Could be a nifty way to add grip to some smooth grip areas that don't take tape well.

DogmaDog,

I had that Wilson checkered frontstrap thing too.  You are right about it being tackier than the skateboard tape.  I could never get it to hold still.  I used sidewalk tape on my old blaster and it worked really well.

-jhgtyre

You guys need to remember that CDP is designed so you have a chance to show up all the money you spent on a gun that is still going to be beaten by a Glock.

I think that trying to save money on a CDP pistol is a "Failure to do Right". What are you trying to do , put Wilson out of business................?     ;-}

I think that trying to save money on a CDP pistol is a "Failure to do Right". What are you trying to do , put Wilson out of business................?     ;-}

LOL!  I hope I don't help put Wilson out of business.  I like their magwell on my 1911 too much! :)

-jhgtyre

"You guys need to remember that CDP is designed so you have a chance to show up all the money you spent on a gun that is still going to be beaten by a Glock."

Actually, Bob, I've never competed against a Glock.  I've heard they make .45s, but I just haven't ever seen an IDPA shooter using one.  Maybe they can't handle power factors as high as 165.

"CDP shooters compete ONLY against other CDP shooters"

It's in the rule book.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

(Edited by DogmaDog at 9:02 pm on June 3, 2002)

Skateboard tape is legal to use. I've seen some shooters even inlay it into their grips, put on their frontstraps, use it to hold down their grip safety and provide good purchase and put on the side rail to locate their thumb rest. It works quite well and when it wears you can replace it for pennies.

Why is it "cool" or accepted to pay a gunsmith $100 to checker your front strap, but its "gaming" or justy plain tacky to spend  50 cents on a peice of tape that will give you the same effect?

Oh, thats right the gunsmiths make the rules in IDPA..... gee isn't THAT convenient.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Brownells sells an epoxy based finish called something like 'spray-grit.' Takes forever to dry, the the clear color is nearly invisible. It provides a texture about like light stippling, and can be removed if you're determined.

Larry