Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester 1oz Loads At 1350fps In A Benelli?

smokshwn

Trapper & Kurt,

Yeah, I was referring to an Benelli setup for Open division. A standard 26" Benelli will work just fine as Kurt mentioned even with a long tube, but it has been my experience that when you start loading up the Benelli's with scopes, comps, stick funnels, side saddles, etc. as the amount of crap on the Benelli accumulates, the reliability goes down. Especially when you try to shoot the lightweight stuff.

As you know, the Benelli needs about 1/4" of free recoil for the rotating bolt to unlock and the action to cycle. The more weight you put on the gun, the more you dampen the recoil. When you combine a heavy gun, light loads, and a strong stance, you have quite a recipe for a malfunction.

This is why I recommended that if you are going to shoot open, use the stronger stuff. It will help the shotgun cycle properly.

Erik

Ah...but master Erik..... this lowly student mentioned 28" barrel....no 26".

Now as to hanging ALOT of weight on a Benelli, you may be right.....except I know of 3 Benellis with a tri-tube magazine set up being run in open Internationaly, each tube holds 9 or 10 rounds as I recall, plus the tubes and brackets and the Aim-Point comp M on top and comp at the end of the barrel ( for looks I guess as there just isn't much pressure for these things to work). They happily run 1 1/8oz. (32 gram) loads at 1300 or about 3 dram eq, with boring regularity. I bet you could stop that monster on a dime and give 9 cents in change, but the fact is.... thats a lot of weight on the old girl and it keeps on running. There are many more factors here than just weight. I have been told that if I put a Benelli up against a tree and pull the trigger it won't cycle at all and yet both Mine will, as well as several others I have tried....Maybe it,s just that old black majic :ph34r:

Yep, your 28 will also run and any 30's you have hidden around. :ph34r:

Yep, I've done the Benelli against a pole thing also and mine cycles. I don't know why, it shouldn't, but it does. I surmise its the slight compression from the recoil pad that allow the bolt to unlock, but I haven't tested this theory.

Without having seen the monstrosity with three tubes (although I'd like to, got any pics?), I can only hazard a guess that there were some internal modifications permit it to work reliably. In any case, I'd think it's probably the exception and not the rule.

Ah...but master Erik..... this lowly student

Oh Master of the Weak Hand, you have it all wrong. I am your humble disciple. I have been preaching the good word all along the East Coast...some are even listening :lol:

Here's a thread drift for you to think about..Master of the Weak Hand. How come nobody has produced a belt fed shotgun?

Erik

Edited by Bear1142

AHHH....Master they have!! The Wilrod company did, and they made a really cool double tube shotgun that held 18 rounds and kind of looked like an Sterling sub-gun with a target rifle fore-end. The Belt fed worked off of cloth belts and reportedly had a cyclic rate of 750. The Atchison Asault 12 ( Spector shotgun) was also originally designed in the belt fed mode, but they finally decided a 20 round drum was the way to fly. I shot one of the proto-types way back when ( not the belt fed ) and it was very controlable on full auto!

NO internal mods at all on the tri-tube Benelli. You can find pictures of this thing on the IPSC Global Village, and it is still being talked about as we type! BTW PM at ya! KURTM

So I have run 500 of these through the gun and it runs them like a scalded cat. The only problem is the hulls seem to be on the soft side and occasionally they get caught up when coming out of the tec loader into the mag opening. I blended the mag opening and polished it up which helped quite a bit but one will still occasionally hang up. On the real plus side they seem to shoot softer/flatter than anything else I have tried in this gun.

Plenty good for cheap practice but I would like to find something with a little stiffer crimp/hull. Any preferences?

I have been using the RIO 2.75 Dram 1.125oz 7.5's at $34 a case for quite a while now as practice and match ammo. They run through Tec loaders into my Remmy like there is no tomorrow ;-) Function has been equal to the premium Fiocchi trap loads I had been using at $40+ a case.