Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clips And Brass

warpspeed

So I picked up a new 625, sent it off to Randy Lee for the full treatment, and it found it's way home. I won't go on and on about just how nice it is, many others have done that before. Let's just say I was not disapointed.

I got some of the Hearthco moon clips. Nice product as well. Which leads me to my question:

How tight do you like the brass in the clip ?

The Federal I have tried is waaay tight. Can't put it in or take it out w/o tools. It is very stiff in the clip.

I also tried some Starline. In by hand, out with a little help. It is not so stiff. Loose so to speak.

Is one better than the other?

So I picked up a new 625, sent it off to Randy Lee for the full treatment, and it found it's way home. I won't go on and on about just how nice it is, many others have done that before. Let's just say I was not disapointed.

I got some of the Hearthco moon clips. Nice product as well. Which leads me to my question:

How tight do you like the brass in the clip ?

The Federal I have tried is waaay tight. Can't put it in or take it out w/o tools. It is very stiff in the clip.

I also tried some Starline. In by hand, out with a little help. It is not so stiff. Loose so to speak.

Is one better than the other?

As long as it dosen't fall out on its own I would be happy.

al

This falls into an area I think is personal taste.

I like the Starline because the clip/ammo assembly is not rigid, it has a little play. I think this gives a little wiggle room on reloads that helps make them go in smoother when things are less than perfect.

Others like the very tight fit to hold everything straight. This seems to be a little less forgiving if everything isn't perfect.

You might separate some headstamps and see what you like best.

Many of us use Winchester brass. Good to see another 625 going into competion. ;)

I've been shooting a Mod 19 w/ speeloaders and decided that if I was going to do this might as well go all out. :)

Thanks for the advise - I'll try a few different combo's and see what works best on the clock.

you mean to tell me that there are people that actually sort handgun brass.........

i am running all ranch products moons, but my brass is a mixed pot. some goes in tighter than others, but it is all a little "loose" in the clip. by loose i mean that there is wiggle room, there is definatley nothing going to fall out of the clip. i have to use a tool to take it all out.

Brett

Thanks all.

The only reason I was considering using same head stamp is that I'll be getting it all back :D

Unlike with my various bottom feeders, I plan on picking up every last piece if spent brass I create. ;)

So the thought of buying 1000 pieces of new brass did not seem so bad considering it would not be lost. But since y'all say not too worry, I'll just load up a mess and shoot. Just like I does with the ol' bottom feeder :P

mixed-up moons.......mixed-up brass......iss all good, mybrutha.....

I agree completely for .45ACP. If you get a 627 in .357mag however, Hearthco moons with R-P brass is noticeably better.

Yes, you're right--the mix-up thing only applies for .45. All other calibers can be finicky.