Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left-hand 1911's - Parts Source

n2ipsc

I recently acquired a used left-hand Randall B131 "Combat" .45 in a trade.

Although this is an extremely rare variant (225 produced between May & Aug 1984), its prior owner apparently saw a brighter future for Randall than eventually materialized (Randall closed their doors in May 1985), and modified the gun for IPSC (S&A magwell, FLGR, et al - worst, drilled and tapped the dust cover for a scope mount, compensated slightly by the complete spare top end that came with the gun), thus, it's a shooter - not a safe queen - and, as a southpaw, I'd love to trot this oddity out and pelt unsuspecting CRO's with left-flying cases :lol:

However, because it's a TRUE mirror image (right down to the magazines, extractor, ejector, sear spring, et al), I'm not too wild about using it for anything other than the occasional plinking session, as a broken (LH) part(s) would definitely rise to a whole new level of pain-in-the-neck.

I know that, in addition to Randall, Safari Arms/Olympic - and others? - have manufactured LH 1911's at various times in history, and was hoping that someone might have a line on a source for spare/replacement LH parts...?

One of my car pardners back in the 80's was a southpaw so he purchased a Randall with high expectations. It failed with the first magazine so it went back. After it came back it failed again so he got rid of it and perhaps it became a safe queen. He went back to his N Frame S&W .45 Colt six gun worn in a left hand cross draw and lived happily ever after. Several years ago I got a Commander SS slide in a trade and recently built it up as part of a Curtis E. Le May .45 ACP Commander, Serial Number GEN C E LE MAY 45. It was a conventional slide so it worked out well.

My original intention in doing that was to secretly present it to Bush 43 at his ranch for his personal carry gun, but then I found out that if it was worth over $1000.00, it would become Government Property and he could not own it. It is a neat gun so I am keeping it here as a Safe Queen for now. I have test fired it several times with differen ammo and it runs great.

I have no idea of what happened to Randall's extra parts. I wish I had a source for you but I don't. If it hasn't broke yet, it may never give you a problem!

About four years ago at the SHOT Show, Caspian had run off 21 sets of lefthanded parts, had one gun assembled to show off, 20 sets of parts for sale at the time.. I can't see how that would pay off for them but there it was. Maybe they have some small stuff left over or could tell you where to get them.

I saw on either this forum or the 1911 forum a post about a company in Canada that offers true left hand 1911s. I can't pull the name out of my memory file just yet. As we get older the old hard drive spins a little slower.

We had a southpaw club member who routinely carried and shot a lefthanded .45; I think it was an Oly but am not sure. Anyhow, he had three guns and a stock of magazines and small parts meant to last a lifetime. Well they lasted longer because he was killed in a freak accident - he was sweeping the parking lot in front of his store when a wheel came off a passing vehicle and hit him in the head. I do not know what happened to his stuff, but will inquire.

...I do not know what happened to his stuff, but will inquire...

Many thanks!!

I saw on either this forum or the 1911 forum a post about a company in Canada that offers true left hand 1911s. I can't pull the name out of my memory file just yet. As we get older the old hard drive spins a little slower.

Looks like Dlask Arms up in Delta - less than 1/2 hour from my house - many thanks for the tip!! :)

randall_r.jpg

randall_l.jpg

Edited by n2ipsc