Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally - My First Uspsa Revoler Match

revchuck

After threatening to do it for a while now, I finally shot my local USPSA club match with a round gun (M681, minor).

First off, I had a blast! I know most of the guys since we have a lot of crossover in both directions in my area, and there were all the "What's that? Where's the magazine go?" razzes that always occur. I've shot there several times with bottomfeeders, so I had an idea of what to expect.

The CoFs were about 24-26 rounds each, so I shot about 100 rounds...not counting the extra reload on the Texas Star :rolleyes: . I had started getting the hang of planning stages for 10 rounds; six rounds is much more of a challenge! Still, it worked out for three out of four CoFs. More on that later.

The good stuff that happened: Aside from the Texas Star, I shot decently. Out of the 100 rounds or so, I think I had 2 Bs, 3 Cs and a D - the rest were As. My reloads were okay for the most part, and included probably my best reload ever - the gun was empty, then it was full and on the next target. It took a while for that one to sink in afterwards. Now I just have to remember what I did. :)

The bad stuff that happened pretty much concentrated on the last stage I shot. 10 paper, four steel, how tough can this be? It even comes out to 24 rounds! I stood there and planned it out...three paper, reload, another paper, move to port, two paper, reload, next port two paper, move to opening, one paper, reload, four steel, one paper and I'm done. The only problem was when the buzzer went off, my mind went blank. I reloaded at the wrong place, which threw me off, then I had a Safariland Comp II release its rounds in mid-air (!), so I had to go to my backup HKS; pushed on it, and the rounds wouldn't release...then it occured to me, "Yo, dummy, twist the knob!" Oh, and I missed a steel, so I had another reload. Even so, I only had one C on that stage.

I need to work on my planning - there's a HUGE difference between IDPA and USPSA on these points - and I need to shoot faster. I'm wondering if I shot too well, sacrificing speed for accuracy. But I had a great time, and am probably going to stick to the round gun for USPSA.

Glad you enjoyed yourself- speed will come, especially with reloads- I've been shooting revolver for a year and a half now and still need to work more on them! :lol:

Limited 6 (round) makes the game a lot more fun (in my opinion), and when you go back to a flat gun it's amazing how nice those triggers feel...

If you can shoot a revolver well, you can shoot most anything well...

After threatening to do it for a while now, I finally shot my local USPSA club match with a round gun (M681, minor).

Not only did you come over to the dark side you jumped into the abyss of USPSA - Revolver Division (and minor to boot!)...welcome to the "Island of Misfit Shooters!" :lol:

Personally, when it goes well in USPSA and you're really on fire, you will surpass anything you've achieved in IDPA (IMHO) because of the level of difficulty, multiple ways of shooting a stage, higher round counts, etc.

It just feels awesome to burn down a USPSA stage with a revolver. Glad you came over (as many of us have) to USPSA. You can still shoot both :D

It just feels awesome to burn down a USPSA stage with a revolver. Glad you came over (as many of us have) to USPSA. You can still shoot both

I began shooting USPSA back in the early 80s, but it was with a Series 70 Colt - which always worked, box stock, something that didn't happen often back then. I was never a "serious" shooter, and still aren't. I plan on being a primarily IDPA SSR shooter, but enjoy USPSA too...I don't limit myself to one flavor of ice cream, why limit myself to one flavor of shooting? :)

My biggest problem now, aside from time, is that I've got a bunch of cool guns that I like to shoot, and have a hard time concentrating on one.

Chuck,

Was glad to see you and your son show up for the match. It was a hot mother wasn't it!?

Too bad we didn't shoot on the same squad, it would have been fun to have two wheelgunners shooting together. Maybe next time.

Welcome Revchuck, it's a blast ain't it?

Shooting Minor you would want to shoot just the way you did. Major can let you get a little wilder, but not much.

The key is how close were your shot placements. A key guide is if they're closer than 3" you can speed up. If they were all edge A's, then keep at your level and concentrate on your score.

A Revo will wear you down faster than an Auto, probably why your last run was your worse.

Cool Guns are Great.

The RUSH from a great run with a Revo, or even a great Reload with a Revo, is unsurpassed. Especially if some of your Auto buddies recognize it. You're doing something they're leary of doing. Kind of like trying to emulate a GM shooting tape. How many guys are willing to blow a reload, in an attempt to get a sub 1 second one? Especially in a Match.

Congratulations.