Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Any 147gr Loads?

mrapathy2000

power pistol will do it, but your gun will feel like a loud limited gun instead of an open gun.

If you really want to try it, i suggest you go with power pistol and the data off the alliant website. It made major in my glock 34.

Harmon

AA7

7.2 to 8.2 grains under any 147 to 150 grain FMJ, JHP or hard cast lead. OAL to fit your magazine but I used 1.140" OAL when I drove a 147 hard cast LSWC just under 1250 fps with 8 grains of AA7. Longer OAL and looser bullet/bbl fit will have you near/over 8 grains. Snug fitting bullet and/or shorter OAL and you will be in the under 8 grain range. Just start around 7 grains and work it up for your bullet/bbl/OAL combo.

8 grains was a compressed load for me at 1.140" COAL

im not sure if you can REALLY make major with 3n38 and 147s...in the 9mm.

at least not keeping the OAL under 1.200

might be worth a try

Harmon

Don't know. Never tried. I just found the load in a load manual published by VV. Might work, might not.

have heard a few people say 3n38 doesnt deliver for them and other say it did. (shrug)

how bulky is HS-6?

have used some workups with powerpistol and longshot need to chrono.

thanks for the replies keep them coming plz

Edited by mrapathy2000

Look at the Excel file for 9Major loads on here & you will see my results with 147gr Zero JHP. Didn't get within 100fps of the V-V load manual & best guess for why is, the Zero bullet has a different boat-tail then the Hornady XTP bullet used by V-V.

If you must try a 147gr Major load, you should buy XTP bullets. All the 147's have a boat-tail to work in the 9x19 case & they are all different. As they say, cheaper to put an optic on your limited gun because the gun jumps around just like a 40cal.

I don't see how N105 would work in 9Major with any bullet but 3n38 worked pretty nice with a 115gr bullet. Leaves about 3/16" or less of room to put a bullet on top but you just crunch it down to the right OAL, no pressure problems in my gun at all. Works the comp really well.

For whatever reason, HS6 responds very well to 115gr bullets. Many powders get more violent when you go to the lighter bullet and 0.6gr more powder but depending on your comp the HS6 is sometimes even softer to shoot with 115s. Louder, but less gun movement and less slap in your hand.

HS6 is the least bulky powder of any that you'd want to use in 9Major. HS7 is even less bulky but you have to use so much more of it, ends up being not as good. I was very surprised to find that HS6 laid down in the case even better than Vectan SP2, which has the consistency of very fine dirt.

No one asked, but the last 3 powders mentioned will all deform your primers more than V-V powders. Best we can figure is that the fine powders run thru the flash-hole and onto the primer anvil before you ever shoot the gun. But stick powders like V-V don't come back thru the flash-hole at all. Try it with an empty case [and a powder pan] & you'll see it right away.