Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is This A Really Dumb Idea?

Do y'all get all teary eyed when you stomp on a roach too?

Naw... and I understand pest control. But, I'm not an "Orkin Man" at heart. If were a rancher, or farmer, and had important resources being torn up, I imagine I'd do what I'd have to do, but... well, I'm not :) I'm not the guy to take varminting - though there are certain situations where I'd be up for it (coyotes or feral dogs taking out livestock comes to mind).... Just how I am ;)

little piggy-CQB. Nothing like 50 hogs around you when you drop the hammer on the first one and woods come alive...did I mention a long shot is 15 yards?

Now you're talking my language.... ;)

Xre, since we shot together at SpaceCity you are invited anytime

Thanks, Kevin - I'll keep that in mind :) I appreciate the offer :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this and remembering that my neighbor has had some hogs on his property so I may have some on mine, I surveyed the safe. Best choice I have is M1 rifle with bayonet attached. Or maybe slugs in the 590 -- also with bayonet attached. :D

Lee

lmccrock,

Slugs work well on small, female or lightly armored boars, but in my experience they dont perform well on the medium size and larger pigs (200lbs and up...we kill alot in the 350 to 400 lb range).

IMHO, buckshot is a better bet with a shotgun...aim for the head on big pigs and you will likely slip one in the ear/eye hole or chop up the neck arteries, on smaller ones just center'em up in the chest. Repeat as needed...

Xre,

I know what you mean about being the Orkin man. There has to be a reason for me to shoot as well. Coons and possums eat my woodducks and turkey eggs, and they carry illness. Coyotes are well, coyotes. But you will have some splaining to do if I catch you shooting an armadillo on my place... (yes, I know about the leper thing...I dont care!)

B

Edited by Brazos

Back in the late 70s I was reading Nonte and hunting everything that moved with a SS .38 Super. Either silvertips or ungodly fast 100 - 115 grain handloads.

Hogs, deer, black bear, squirrels, rabbits, basically anything that was breathing and legal in Georgia or North Carolina. Never had a hog try to attack me, but at the time I'm sure that would have been an "adventure" to be appreciated. Of course the .38 Super was the only gun I had that wasn't a .22 or a shotgun.

I'm a little bit too old for "adventures" anymore, especially those where I might end up bleeding heavily. From what I'm reading here, the .38 Super is more likely to result in an "adventure", so I'd factor that in before taking an Open gun hog hunting.

You know...if you were up for a little adventure, that might be just the thing...and as far as that goes, you can take an elephant with a .22 LR....just don't stand in front of him as he runs the 7 miles before he bleeds to death...same with the hogs...I am sure that 98% of the time, it would be just fine...as a matter of fact, I have a friend who used to live in Jeanu, Alaska (spelling I know) and he killed a black bear that made its way onto the grounds of the gun club there when he was shooting his .38 Super and it did the trick on the bear from about 40 feet...so a hog might be no sweat....then again..... ;)

Well, for the record - I'm more concerned about making a humane kill than I'm concerned about getting into a little "adventure". I don't want to go chasing a wounded oinker for miles while it bleeds out :( The thought of that sickens me, so....