Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 147gr Smokeless Load

Hipobrow

I've being reloading for quite a while. Within last year I came back to 9mm/ESP load and started reloading for that caliber. All I shoot is 147gr powered by 3.3gr of Universal Clays. I started with hardcast bullets from Northeastbullet. Can't complaint about accuracy from Glock 34. It serves me OK for IDPA needs. It's very clean burning load, but man it does smoke a lot.

Shooting outdoors is no-brainer, clearing COF indoors - is the 'mission impossible'.

After reading a lot of info on the subject, I've tried those variations:

Moly, no-lube

Lube, no-moly

Lube, moly

No lube, no-moly.

All of the above give you a cloud of smoke. The only benefit of bullets without lube is less mess and my dies stay cleaner.

Next attemp was Masterblaster polycoated bullet, more pleasant to handle, no mess around the bench, same recipe... same smoking.

Well, I've purchased 1K of Zero FMJ bullets, loaded to the same PF, incresed load for 0.2gr of the same Universal Clays, went out to try it...IT STILL SMOKES!.

Going to a match, I need to pick factory rounds to shoot indoors because of that.

Could you give some recommendations on different powder or some other factors I overlooked in my reloading jorney?

Regards,

Gene

Well smokeless powder always has SOME smoke. JHP rounds will seem to smoke less, as you are not heating up any lead. I think as long as you shoot lead you are always going to get some smoke. In my experience the Masterblaster rounds smoke less then lead but more FMJ, with JHP's and Copper Plated being the best performers from that standpoints. In my limited experience powders make a lot less difference to smoke then the bullet design.

My choice is going to be WSF based on tests I have done with MasterBlaster bullets in a 45. In the 45 I have used Clays, TiteGroup, American Select, ZIP, WST & others but the WST seems to have the best combination of recoil impluse & low smoke. I have tried others that are softer but look like black powder on a calm day.

Most of your smoke is due to shooting lead bullets. Use a JHP (which has a jacketed base), a TMJ (Total Metal Jacket), or a plated type projectile and almost all of the smoke will go away.