Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minimum Load For Wst?

IceMack

Hi Guys,

I'm going to shoot IPSC Production with an H&K USP .45 full-size. (Yes, I'm crazy :P )

I'm shooting a 200gr jacketed flat point bullet. It's fully enclosed at the back but there is a flat point of lead exposed on the front.

My question is how much WST to load this with for testing? I'm going to chrono some samples to see if I can get the sweet spot where it cycles reliably and goes as slow as possible but don't know where that start point is.

I've loaded some at 4.2gr, but haven't clocked it yet. Do I load some at 4.1, 4.0, 3.9, 3.8 etc or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Cheers,

Shawn

Calgary, Alberta

Check out Winchesters site:

http://www.wwpowder.com/data/handgun/45acp.php

They show for a 200 FP in my hard copy, they show starting @

max charge: 5.3 890fps = 178PF

min charge: 4.7 825fps = 165PF

I did some plated 200s at 4.4, PF was ~140..

4.2 Jacketed.. are going to be pretty slow I'd guess.

When I work up, I go by .2grs at a time.

I've loaded some at 4.2gr, but haven't clocked it yet. Do I load some at 4.1, 4.0, 3.9, 3.8 etc or is there a better way?

Unless you have a long drive to your chrono area, this might be a waste of powder. With the posts I have seen about getting a 40 to production PF limits I would advise taking along some softer springs. A 200gr bullet in a 45 at a PF of 145 should be BB gun range.

Thanks for the response guys.

Anyone have any issues shooting 165gr or 185gr .45? Links to Winchester's load chart show no minimums for WST powder and have no explanation.

I've never thought about that weight in .45, but saw it on the product list. (I get my bullets from Montana Gold)

Thanks all,

You guys are awesome! I'm picking up 1000 bullets tomorrow afternoon and loading up.

Ultimately, I'd like to have a 185gr .45 going out at 700fps (129.5 power factor) but I'm not sure that light a load will cycle reliably.

Should be interesting... I'll post up when I find a combination that works.

Cheers,

Shawn

Calgary, Alberta

Using 185 gr. Rainier or Berry's plated bullets 4.5 gr. of WST gave me ca. 740 fps, 5.0 gr. of WST gave ca 820 fps with the same bullets.

IO have used 3.8 to 4.2 gr. WST with the 230 gr. Rainier RN for 655 to 725 fps.

I get approximately the same velocities using jacketed bullets as the Rainiers.

In all cases nice clean burning loads.

I use a G21 for Production (yup...I'm crazy too :P )

185g jacketed bullet, 4.8g of WW Supertarget, CCI primers.

780 fps and 2 inch groups at 30 yds.

Soft as a babies bottom.... :lol:

Edited by Chuck D

I knew there must be some other crazy folks who want to shoot the 'wrong' gun in Production. I'm not alone :D

Thanks again to all, I'm going to shoot a Provincials match this weekend with the 200gr JFPs, but right after I'm going to buy some 185 (or 165gr if I can get them) jacketed .45

As a general rule, for the same powder charge and identical bullet weight does jacketed have a higher or lower muzzle velocity than plain lead?

Some time back I tried a light load for steel. Used a light spring in the autos.

180gr LSWC Excell

4.3gr WST

1.215"OAL ?

SA 1911 800 FPS

S&W 625 793 FPS

4.0gr WST

Clean

Large Spread

S&W 625 711 FPS

Para 673 FPS

Clark Bar 740 FPS

For what it's worth.. :mellow:

OK, back from the range.

I found the lightest load that cycled reliably was this one:

200gr JFP .45

3.7gr Winchester Super Target (WST)

OAL 1.170"

In a H&K USP .45 full size.

Didn't chrono it but all it needs is 625fps to make 125 Power Factor and I'm damn sure it's going that fast. :blink:

Talked to my bullet guy and he has some 185gr JHP .45 in stock too.

I'm going to pick up some of that after this match.

QUESTION: To get lower muzzle velocity from a .45 shooting 185gr bullets, should I look for a slower burning powder than WST?

Cheers,

Shawn

QUESTION: To get lower muzzle velocity from a .45 shooting 185gr bullets, should I look for a slower burning powder than WST?

Try that new Cowboy powder that I can't remember the name of. The fluffy stuff that fills big cases. :huh:

Lessons learned:

200gr JFP .45

3.7gr Winchester Super Target

CCI primers

1.175" OAL

in an H&K USP .45 gives an average of 630.5 FPS over 5 shots.

That provides a 'Holy crap' power factor of 126.1! A wee bit close for comfort. :o:ph34r:

It also won't feed the first round off a full magazine very reliably, a fact that I didn't notice in testing, but that became abundantly clear in the match. :(

Easy to shoot, soft as you could hope for, but not enough 'jam' to cycle against that fully compressed magazine. I went to loading 9 rounds in the 10 round mag in the end and that worked OK, but not in time to save me from hosing 7 of 12 stages with stoppages. :angry:

At least my hits were good when I got it to go 'bang'.

New plan is to load 185gr JHP .45 to about 700 FPS. I'll update the thread when I have some testing complete.

As always, all advice and criticism gratefully accepted. B)

• 2 weeks later...
Lessons learned:

200gr JFP .45

3.7gr Winchester Super Target

CCI primers

1.175" OAL

in an H&K USP .45 gives an average of 630.5 FPS over 5 shots.

That provides a 'Holy crap' power factor of 126.1! A wee bit close for comfort. :o:ph34r:

It also won't feed the first round off a full magazine very reliably, a fact that I didn't notice in testing, but that became abundantly clear in the match. :(

Easy to shoot, soft as you could hope for, but not enough 'jam' to cycle against that fully compressed magazine. I went to loading 9 rounds in the 10 round mag in the end and that worked OK, but not in time to save me from hosing 7 of 12 stages with stoppages. :angry:

At least my hits were good when I got it to go 'bang'.

New plan is to load 185gr JHP .45 to about 700 FPS. I'll update the thread when I have some testing complete.

As always, all advice and criticism gratefully accepted. B)

I have not tried WSt with 200 gr. bullets.

I have used 4.5 to 5.0 gr. of WST with the 185 gr. Rainier plated bullets with excellent results. Also lighter loads with the 330 gr. Star FMJ and 230 gr. Rainiers.

WST and American select are my favorite two powders for loading the 40 S&W and 45 ACP.