Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ssp Classifier

MPK

Its stage 3, string 2 that has me thinking the most. Not worried. Any pointers for entering position #5 behind barrel?

Make sure you can engage all three targets witout re-positioning yourself. And yes, I wish I would take my own advice. :rolleyes:

or you could try typing "IDPA classifier tips" into google and see what else pops up.

Me, at my current progression, or lack thereof, in IDPA would suggest for you NOT to practice the classifier at all.

I don't know what your current level of proficiency is, but I would also suggest TO practice the basic set of skills the PTB at IDPA HQ feel you should be good at and hence have empasized in the classifier:

1. Strong hand only

2. Weak hand only

3. Shooting from either side of a barricade

Shooting the classifier well does not necessarily an "expert" make.

Notice that in the entire classifier you're only required to do one mag change of the RWR or TR style.

My last little bit of advice is to reiterate what Rubberneck said up above. It's a Bullseye match. So the sight alignment and trigger discipline/patience has to really be there. You might want to put the top of your FS on the neck line of the target at that distance. Most people pull their shots down, so if you aim at the neck line, your shots should hopefully drop into the -0 circle.

So why do you want to make "expert" so much?

When I shoot the classifier I normally do very well on all of it except for two parts: the head shots and the 20 yard shots. Both problems boil down to trigger control. It's more of a problem when I shoot SSP, because it's easier to yank the muzzle off-target with the longer, harder trigger pull.

The cure for me is to slow down on these shots, enough to look at both the front and rear sights, and concentrate on maintaining a good sight picture throughout the trigger pull.

Any tips or words of wisdom for shooting SSP classifier? Would like to do well.

Hit the down zero areas as fast as you can.

hehehehe.

Well, seriously, You shouldn't do this if you can hit the -1 a half second faster or the -3 1.5 seconds faster, or shot the berm 2.5 seconds faster than it takes to hit the down zero!

Seems like a joke, but to me this is the allure of action shooting, to find the balance between speed an accuracy.

I agree that shooting a good classifier requires better accuracy than shooting most matches. Not a knock on the classifier, just an opinion.

Hit the down zero areas as fast as you can.

hehehehe.

Well, seriously, You shouldn't do this if you can hit the -1 a half second faster or the -3 1.5 seconds faster, or shot the berm 2.5 seconds faster than it takes to hit the down zero!

Seems like a joke, but to me this is the allure of action shooting, to find the balance between speed an accuracy.

I agree that shooting a good classifier requires better accuracy than shooting most matches. Not a knock on the classifier, just an opinion.

Perhaps.

My experience has been that people who possess the knowledge and skill you describe - if indeed you can classify missing the target as a skill- do not ask the question that was posed.

Edited by Bones

aw, I was just poking fun at your answer as it is actually what you want to do, and not how to do it.

Like asking, How do I win in golf? Oh, just get the ball in the hole using fewer strokes than your competitiion?

I just got a kick out of thinking of a new shooter with a very slow draw doing better by throwing one in the dirt in 2 seconds vs putting one in the -0 in 5 seconds.

And for me, on the long distance portion, I feel like I do better shooting before I'm 99% confident of a -0 hit, as it feels like an eternity between being 80% sure vs 99%. If I practiced the classifier, I'd likely shoot it both ways and see what actually yeilds the best results. But I'm stuck in expert and a long way from Master, so YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...

I just shot my first IDPA classifier on Wednesday. I managed to classify as SharpShooter, and I was well pleased. One of the other shooters is an Expert, and was trying to get to Master. He missed one of the head shots in Stage 1. Our shooting guru told him:

'The secret to making Master is not to miss. Quickly!' :lol:

Arnie

i dropped a head shot on the last classifier i shot, still made master though, but the big question is "can i compete as a master", hell no i can't i may be able to shoot with the best of them in practice, but competition nerves will get me every time

everyone breaks it down in stages, to do well you must break it down shot to shot, i see way too many people do poorly on a stage overall because they "accepted" that a particular string they would not do well, instead of recognizing their own weakness, and developing it through practice, as stated above "strong hand, weak hand", and moving while shooting, i see allot of people do fair on stage 1, and stage 2, to just throw it down the drain on stage three, first two stages are based on speed, they get this stuck in their heads while on stage three, and i also see people trying to use the non existent "double tap" at 20 yards only to throw every second round into the berm

break down all 90 shots, know them well, not 3 sets of 30 rapid shots