Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Don't Understand?

What is this '+P' business on semi-auto ammunition? What I mean is can I safely shoot '+P'ammunition in a semi-auto pistol not marked '+P'? I have never seen a semi-auto pistol in any caliber marked '+P', but I do see '+P' semi-auto ammunition all the time?

This question refers specificly to the .38 SUPER semi-auto. My pistol is marked '.38 super auto'. Fine, I understand that. But I cannot find any ammunition the is not marked '+P'.

Is there anybody out there who can give me an answer?? It is ok to email me.

It's okay to use the factory ammunition marked "+P" in your 38 Super.

The case design for the Super originated as the 38 ACP. Some years later, they increased the pressure and renamed it the 38 Super. More recently still, SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute) decided the Super ammunition should be marked +P. Thus, for a gun marked as using 38 Super, the correct ammunition is 38 Super, and. these days, it will be marked +P.

In general, +P designated ammunition will normally indicate ammunition loaded to slightly elevated pressure compared to the stndard loading for the cartridge. The 38 Super is something of an anomoly as the standard pressure loading is the +P load, unless you relate it back to the old 38 ACP.

Guy

+P also means that brass is slightly thicker, and therefore less likely to prematurely fail from elevated pressures. Your mileage may vary of course, depending on the age of the brass in question, but factory ammo, or new brass should be no problems.