Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbide Pulls Out Of Sizing Die

The carbide insert in a 9mm sizing die pulled out. Tried pounding it back in, staking, etc.

Dillon replaced it but...

Been using Dillon dies for years with no issues until now.

Has anyone else had this happen? If so, how often.

FWIW, the dies are about three seasons old. Maybe 25 - 30 K.

All it takes is for the carbide or the die to be a few ten thousandths off and you've gone from an interference fit to a sorta slip fit. I wouldn't worry that it's anything in particular that you did or didn't do.

I was once a common practice to grind off the metal below the carbide ring to allow the die to resize lower. It worked for that purpose but also greatly reduced the the amount of metal holding the carbide ring in place. I have no idea if yours was modified, but they usually keep that overhang to a minimum to resize as low as possible.

Had it happen on a Lee die once. Threw it out and spent $12 for another one rather than deal with them and the warranty.

Carbide is a lot like glass in that it is extremely hard and tough, but it is also very fragile. Lots of care is taken that the recess isn't too tight or too large for the carbide ring, but occasionally a bad something gets out of every manufacturing operation there has ever been.

Eric is right, you are only talking about a half thousandth of an inch between 'just right' and 'oh sh!t' in either direction for the fit between the ring and the die body.

Thankfully for you, you were dealing with an outstanding company in Dillon. It is really hard to think of a company I respect more than Dillon....