Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions From Somone Who Wants To Start

Shade Angel

Hello all!

I have been referred here from another site and all I can say is WOW there is a lot to learn. I started shooting just over a year ago and have focused mainly on defensive shooting. I have obtained my CHP and consider myself a good (not great) shot. My instructor holds a tournament twice a year for friends and former students, usually a pin match on Saturday and a top gun match (variety of events not sure what you would call it) on Sunday, and I don’t think I have ever had more fun getting sunburned in my entire life. :D

I am very interested in starting in USPSA and have found several clubs near me (Denver, CO). But I have a few questions that may have already been answered ad nauseam, but I have been reading up for the past few days trying to get as many answers as I could before posting.

1) Are there any criteria I should be looking at when choosing one of the seven clubs that come up on my club search? Distance is important, but what other things should I be looking for?

2) I currently own two handguns that would be suitable for competition, a Springfield loaded 1911, and a XD-45. I am still learning about the divisions, but I am looking at Limited-10 and Production (has the XD-45 been approved for production yet?) Is there any reason I cannot shoot both? Or is it better to pick one and stick with it? Is one better to start with?

3) I am concerned about the cost of shooting .45. I am considering reloading, but I am not sure I can make the time. I was thinking of getting a 9mm to compete with instead (like I need a reason to buy a new gun ;) ) Are there any advantages or disadvantages to starting with a smaller caliber and then moving to a larger one later?

4) Does anyone compete with the same gun they carry for defense? Bad idea? Good idea?

Thanks for any help!!! B)

Edited by Shade Angel

1) Are there any criteria I should be looking at when choosing one of the seven clubs that come up on my club search? Distance is important, but what other things should I be looking for?

I would suggest you try each club at least once before joining any of them. I have found just about every club I have ever shot with to be friendly and helpful..but some or more so than others. There are always some clubs that you feel you just "fit" with.

2) I currently own two handguns that would be suitable for competition, a Springfield loaded 1911, and a XD-45. I am still learning about the divisions, but I am looking at Limited-10 and Production (has the XD-45 been approved for production yet?) Is there any reason I cannot shoot both? Or is it better to pick one and stick with it? Is one better to start with?

Don't know about the XD but I "think" it has not been out yet long enough to be approved..? I know there is a thread here that answers the question but I could not find it.

The Springer is a very good choice for L10 and the provisional SS division. IMHO

3 I am concerned about the cost of shooting .45. I am considering reloading, but I am not sure I can make the time. I was thinking of getting a 9mm to compete with instead (like I need a reason to buy a new gun ;) ) Are there any advantages or disadvantages to starting with a smaller caliber and then moving to a larger one later?

9mm is THE choice in Production. The many lessons learned about the "game" will transfer seamlessly to a major caliber gun.

4) Does anyone compete with the same gun they carry for defense? Bad idea? Good idea?

A competition gun may be larger and bulkier than the norm for carry - but a lot do use the same gun. I do believe one of our most esteemed members, Mr. Duane Thomas, carries a G34 as his carry gun and used it for competition.

Welcome to this forum. It is a great place to learn.

I tried most every club near me when I started doing this about a year and a half ago. I would encourage you to do the same. You might like some better than others. Lately gas prices affect my decision to stay close to home, but there were some places where I prefer not to shoot. Different clubs had different personalities. Having a local shooting buddy makes matches a lot more fun. I would look for two shooting buddies, one to mentor you and one to compete with. Obviously the first would be much better and the latter about the same level. I am fortunate to have a shooting buddy to compete with and a whole bunch of guys much better than me that have been unbelievable in how much they have given me of time and knowledge. That makes it a lot of fun. Did I mention I have fun? I would hesitate to shoot a 45 ACP in production. There is no benefit to it, specially with factory ammo. I am a 1911 fan, even though I do like the XD. Pick a gun and don't look back. You can always change your mind. Using a carry gun for competition is not a good idea in my mind, but to me a carry gun is a compact gun and a match gun is a full size gun. Additionally, I have heard many arguments (as I'm sure you have) about using factory ammo and very near stock gun for carry should the lawyers get involved. That is a very personal decision, but most competition pistols are not very practical for carry after you add all the accessories to them. That's my $0.02. Good luck.

I would attend the matches of the ones close to you. Meet the members at each club and find out what each has to offer. Join the club you feel most comfortable shooting at and offers the most of the type of shooting you do. You can alway attend just the matches of the other clubs.

Either one would be good. The 1911 could be shoot in Single Stack or limited 10, and the XD could be shoot in limited 10 or production.

3) I am concerned about the cost of shooting .45. I am considering reloading, but I am not sure I can make the time. I was thinking of getting a 9mm to compete with instead (like I need a reason to buy a new gun ;) ) Are there any advantages or disadvantages to starting with a smaller caliber and then moving to a larger one later?

If you do not reload then the 45 can get expensive. If you reload 45 the cost is comparable to buying 9mm. Reloading equipment can be cheaper than a new gun and only take about an hour to reload 200 rounds, faster if you get more advanced reloading equipment.

Yes!! This is what production division was basicly created for, and many people carry a 1911 daily. So why not? The old saying is still true, carry what you practice with.

Thanks for any help!!! B)

Start with what you got, talk with more experienced IPSIC shooters and learn the sport before going out to buy new equipment. You will be fine with what you have.

Mark

Just wanted to say welcome, everyone else hit the nail on the head with their replies so I don't have much to add.

Although I don't believe that the XD-45 ACP has been added to the Production list.

Just wanted to say welcome, everyone else hit the nail on the head with their replies so I don't have much to add.

Although I don't believe that the XD-45 ACP has been added to the Production list.

USPSA Production list? Please tell me where to find it. Last I heard only IPSC has a list.

USPSA Production list? Please tell me where to find it. Last I heard only IPSC has a list.

I thought the lists are identical, except USPSA rules allow for internal "tinkering" in Production?

Go to: http://www.uspsa.org/ and select the "RULES" button on the top of the page. Scroll down to near the bottom of that page and select "Production Handgun List"

There is no 45 ACP XD listed.

Wow, and the .45 XD isn't on it. Maybe someone needs to fill out the paperwork to get it on the list. If all the other models are on there I don't understand why it wouldn't be legal.

No wonder people want to simplify production class :)