Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Like To Comp A Springer

david1kw

I have a 9mm 1911 springfield it has 2 barrels one is a kart nm 9mm and the other is a nowlin 38 super. I would like to put a comped barrel on it as well as I dont have the 3+grand for a new blaster. I want to shoot ipsc with it but it only holds 9 rds. anyone that can give guidance would be appreciated. What caliber to go if I do comp it? Can I shoot it in ipsc comped without a red dot style sight? What category would that fit into? also I am looking for a glock 34 upper or bare slide, anyone know where I can get one?

You would be at a huge disadvatage with a single stack for Open division. It would be a waste of $$.

I think Flex's attachement shows the futility of trying to make something into what it never can be.... Why bother trying? :P

Now, Now! Why y'all being so mean and ass-uming???? :angry::blink:

Why David did not say where he is from, let's ass-ume he is from, maybe Hawaii or New Jersey, or some other Peoples Republik State, where you can only shoot 10 rounds in your mags. Then he would be just "peachy-keen", wouldn't he, providing the fact he alrady has the single stack. ;)

If those are the "facts" then my suggestion would be to just use the .38 Super barrel he has, find a "local" 'smithy to install a comp in it. Since he wants to shoot "iron sights" ( as he is entitled to if he wants to!), then go play. Provided his .38 Super barrel ( and frame) is ramped/supported, he can play!

At a match last night Derek Janowicz (Millenium Custom) did a little experiment by shooting his Open gun "without any sights". Yes, no scope, no iron sights, no marks on the slide, just took the scope right off and shot an entire match "au-naturel" with it. On stage number three, he came up to me and rubbed some "salt" in my fresh wounds (three mikes, ouch!) by telling me he had shot it clean and faster than me, while my red dot was working perfectly versus his no-sights... I offered to "sharpen" his firing pin for free, but he declined my offer with a smile. So as you can see, if your equipment qualifies to shoot a particualr division, and you feel like, for whatever reason ... go for it. Next time, I'll be the one removing my scope, (I'm figuring a way to mount a GPS in my Open gun) He, He! I'll show Derek, by shooting 'alphas' out to two hundred yards with no sights... :o:unsure:

Than you for the info. I am unfortunately in California and it is next to impossible to find a used racegun that is a double stack. If you do the guy is asking 1,000 more than the damn thing is worth because the state has us by the nads. I would like to use it as a steel gun if not ipsc.

The red dot makes the Open gun. The comp isn't as much of a factor.

If you can only afford to throw money at one...throw it at the red dot sight.

BTW, if you want to go the Glock route, then you could get an Open 9 going relatively cheap...and still be able to get 29 rounds in the gun (just need to dig up one or two Cali legal Glock 9mm hicaps)

At a match last night Derek Janowicz (Millenium Custom) did a little experiment by shooting his Open gun "without any sights". Yes, no scope, no iron sights, no marks on the slide, just took the scope right off and shot an entire match "au-naturel" with it. On stage number three, he came up to me and rubbed some "salt" in my fresh wounds (three mikes, ouch!) by telling me he had shot it clean and faster than me, while my red dot was working perfectly versus his no-sights... I offered to "sharpen" his firing pin for free, but he declined my offer with a smile. So as you can see, if your equipment qualifies to shoot a particualr division, and you feel like, for whatever reason ... go for it. Next time, I'll be the one removing my scope, (I'm figuring a way to mount a GPS in my Open gun) He, He! I'll show Derek, by shooting 'alphas' out to two hundred yards with no sights... :o:unsure:

I saw him perform the same feat at the Georgia State Championship last week. He made me want to go home and take my scope off my pistola. :huh: