Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slop In The Slide/barrel Fit

Damn_Bastard

Hi gang.

I'm starting to worry that the barrel on my G17 is getting shot out.

There is significant slop in the barrel to slide fit, side to side. I can see daylight through the engagement at the top of the breech face, on the side of the engagement. The metal is visibly worn in that area on the barrel. tThe slack, as measured by micrometer is .0185", that is, the breech area of the barrel can be "clicked" side to side 0.0185".

I'm a tad concerned

How does it shoot?

I have had Glocks that were sloppy and shot great, I have had some that were tight and shot a lot worse. I have had some that were in between. A tight fit will give you a better chance of good accuracy but it won't guarantee it. As long as it is reliable and reasonably accurate I wouldn't worry about it at all.

You can have considerable play in the glocks and still get pretty consistent lock-ups.

Have you changed anything onthe gun laely?

I'd never suggest that changing the recoil spring could change the accuracy. :) But, the spring is what holds those loose Glocks in lock-up.

Also, check the side for any little cracks. Any, make sure your are comparing with known ammo.

I should have mentioned:

I'm in Canada, so no GSSF matches. If I want to take it to an armorer, it's many months separation. We have some *stupid* laws up here. Vote Republican, Americans.

It's my IPSC gun (not USPSA), so no aftermarket barrels. In fact, with the exception of an extended (OEM) mag release, and a set of Heinie sights, it is bone stock.

Today it shot great, but the best I could manage was a 2"-2.5" freehand at 10 yards. Otherwise, I shot a lot of A's, and was hitting the 25 yard popper consistently, so I think I'm alright.

I can't do anything about the gun until after the nationals, anyhow, so it better be OK!

I did break a trigger spring today, though. Shot any number of mags before I noticed :) Luckily I had an extra.