Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

610 Guts Swapped Into A 625 Frame?

sargenv

I was just having a thought or two the other night about my 610. Since these things appear to be climbing in price and seeing as we don't know if S&W will ever produce these guns again, my thoughts came to "What if some internal parts wear out on my 610, can I swap out the barrel and cylinder to a 625 frame and will it work?"

Mostly I was thinking about when D.Carden wore out one of his 625's kind of close to a big match. My 610 has a fair number of rounds on it and I'm thinking about the future seeing that 625's are fairly plentiful and 610's are fairly rare. I asked someone else and he thought that they were different enough that it couldn't be done but he told me to ask someone more inthe know. Since there are a few good Revo smiths floating around here, I figured this was a good place to ask.

Otherwise I'll just use my what I have till I can't anymore and I guess I'll have to break down and get a 45 when I can no longer shoot the 610.

Vince

Well, it should work, but it would not be a common scenario where the frame would be shot, and the cylinder and barrel would be good enough to transfer over to a different gun. Dan's situation, where he busted off the hammer stud from a billion dry-fire cycles, is perhaps the exception to the rule....

Even then, Dan's gun could have been fixed--S&W just told him the whole gun was getting so worn it might not be worth throwing money at.

I don't know, though....you can keep an N-frame going an awfully long time, and they still shoot pretty good even when they get loose. My old 25-2 has a whole bunch of rounds through it, and it's still working just mighty fine.

sargenv +1 what Carmoney says. I have a old 586 that has untold number of rounds through it. The Barrel and Cylinder are fine. The Yoke is shot and had the trigger and hammer struts had been replaced. The Yoke should be available for purchase. I even took the cylinder out and put it in a 686 plus four inch so I could play IDPA.

my thoughts came to "What if some internal parts wear out on my 610, can I swap out the barrel and cylinder to a 625 frame and will it work?"

Vince

If you wear out the 610, it can be repaired. The parts should be available for quite a few more years unless you have a fluted cylinder and a 6" or 3" barrel. If you are really concerned about Barrel, buy one while you can. Cylinder too.

Regards,

If you wear out the 610, it can be repaired. The parts should be available for quite a few more years unless you have a fluted cylinder and a 6" or 3" barrel. If you are really concerned about Barrel, buy one while you can. Cylinder too.

Regards,

Well, thanks to everyone who replied. I'm happy that it can be repaired. My 610 is the Classic with the unfluted cylinder and 6.5" tube. I really doubt that I'd ever wear out the barrel since all I shoot through it is plated or lead moly coated stuff. I seem to have some wear on the cylinder stop, but not anything to worry about now. I wore out 500 pieces of 10 mm brass over the years since I've had it (about 8 years) and have fired..... about 6500 or 7000 rounds practicing for the IRC this year. I had D.Carden slick it up some for me and he said that I'd had some wear on it. I knew Dan's wearing out that 625 was extreme, but still, I can be hard on guns so I wanted re-assurance that it could be done. I like the 40/10 ability and would prefer to keep shooting it rather than have to load for another caliber and the resulting components. As it is I currently load 40 in 4 different USPSA divisions and 9mm/38 super in 2 divisions. I don't want to have to also load 45 for just the one division.

I knew someone would have the answer :)

Vince

Regards,

Well, thanks to everyone who replied. I'm happy that it can be repaired. My 610 is the Classic with the unfluted cylinder and 6.5" tube. I really doubt that I'd ever wear out the barrel since all I shoot through it is plated or lead moly coated stuff. I seem to have some wear on the cylinder stop, but not anything to worry about now. I wore out 500 pieces of 10 mm brass over the years since I've had it (about 8 years) and have fired..... about 6500 or 7000 rounds practicing for the IRC this year. I had D.Carden slick it up some for me and he said that I'd had some wear on it. I knew Dan's wearing out that 625 was extreme, but still, I can be hard on guns so I wanted re-assurance that it could be done. I like the 40/10 ability and would prefer to keep shooting it rather than have to load for another caliber and the resulting components. As it is I currently load 40 in 4 different USPSA divisions and 9mm/38 super in 2 divisions. I don't want to have to also load 45 for just the one division.

I knew someone would have the answer :)

Vince