Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting First Local Uspsa Matches.

mattiooo

I'm going to start attending the local monthly USPSA matches finally. Eventually I would like to shoot in 3-gun matches as well.

I own two handguns and I'm not sure which to use.

The first is the gun I bought for protection, a H&K USP full size in .45. It is the SA/DA with the safety also acting as a decocking lever. I can start with it either cocked and locked in single action, or decocked with my first shot shooting double action.

The second gun I got for club steel shoots, a Baretta 92FS Vertec in 9mm.

What I know about my own shooting so far:

1) I consider myself a beginner, due to the limited amount of time I get to practice and

shoot matches.

2) In practicing at the range (15 yards, standing, both hands):

I shoot tighter groups with the USP. They tend to be about 3 inches lower than where

I'm aiming, and I'm almost positive that it's flinch. I can keep almost all of them in

the A Zone on an IPSC style target.

The Vertec groups seem to be much larger, but closer to point of aim, though I do

routinely have fliers that are several inches from the group. However, these groups

spread out of the A zone much more into the B zone.

3) At a side match, I was able to try the same steel stage with both guns. I found that I

was an average of 2 seconds faster with the Beretta than I was with the USP. I was

able to hit the targets with the first shot each time (though it was a speed stage, and all

the targets were 18 x 24) so I attribute the speed difference to recovering the gun from

recoil.

4) I feel more confident with the .45, though I know I have some issues with it (i.e. the

flinch and the slower speed). The Beretta is newer though, and it might just be the

difference in the time of ownership.

Being brand new to the sport of action shooting, I'm looking for advice on which one to start out with, based on the above, and anything I haven't considered. Gear wise, I have 5 mags for each, a holster for each, and paddle magazine holders for each. The only cost basis would be ammunition. The only other difference is magazine capacity. The USP was bought before the ban expired, so the USP mags are all 10 rounders (I would not want to buy new mags as they are very expensive, and only give me 2 more rounds). The Beretta's are 15 rounders.

All of your sagely advice is greatly appreciated.

Matt.

Edited by mattiooo

I would say consider the cost of ammo and whether or not you reload into your overall decision. Both guns you mention have plus/minus factors, and only YOU can determine which one is really best. The most important thing is to be safe and have fun. It's hard to beat 9mm cost right now. :)

Good luck, and keep us posted on your decision!

Mike

Hey Mattiooo,

Welcome to the sport!! I started 2 1/2 years ago with my home defense gun, a Walther P99 in .40 S&W. I was shooting Production division since I only had 10 rd. mags and the L-10 guys seemed to have quite an advantage with their tricked 1911's (STI, SVI, Para, etc...). I had the chance to shoot with a couple of Production GM's and check-out their gear. I found that every A, M or GM Production shooter I met was shooting a 9x19mm (Everybody scores minor in Production regardless of their actual power factor as long as it's greater than 125) with a 5" barrel. I got my hands on a Glock 34 and started shooting it at every match I could get to. I'm still a long way from even an "A" card, but I am improving. Man, I love shooting that gun. But that's just me. You have to figure out what works for you.

All that being said, Here's my $.02.

1) Decide which division you want to shoot.

2) Decide how much you want to spend.

3) Remember that no matter what gun you use for which division, the gun will out perform you until you've built up your skills by gaining the experiance from shooting lots and lots of bullets. The cool thing is it's all FUN!!

If you want to shoot production, either of your guns will work. However the 92 might be more competitive and it's definately cheaper to shoot.

Have fun and keep shooting! If you're ever in southern CA, come out and shoot with us at LDF.

Regards,

CB

From what you've written, I'd say go with the Beretta. They have triggers that need some learning, and I'd say that is the cause of the larger groups. You should practice (with safety foremost, of course) pre-loading the trigger, as they tend to be heavy. I make this recommendation because it sounds like you are flinching on the .45, which is going to be a serious pain when you lock up on a small steel and burn a magazine below it. (something I've seen often and done occasionally.) Start with the Vertec, and when you feel like moving up, shoot several hundred rounds through the .45 until you are bored with it. That always seems to cure my flinch for a while.

H.

Well I am also just starting, as in, I haven't even shot a match yet. I do have my own timer and a place to practice. I have been trying my SIG226, and my Glock 17 to see which one will perform better. My shooting style and all other factors combined, I am going to shoot my SIG. Double action pull be darned! I just seem to pick up that front sight better on the SIG. I am using a Blade Tech Holster as well. Nothin fancy. I would definitely say shoot the 9mm.

Welcome to USPSA! I'm relatively new to the sport also (1.5 years), so here's my 2 cents:

Practice, practice, practice. With both guns.

If you think you have a flinch with the .45, invest in some inert training rounds, mix them up in the magazine, then shoot and see if you still have the flinch. If you have a group that is low, it could be the sights or the ammo and not a flinch.

If you have an opportunity, and the money, shoot twice at your local matches. Once in production w/ the Beretta and once in L-10 w/ the H&K. It is good practice and you'll feel more comfortable behind your guns.

Magazine wise, the 10 rounds mags are fine since L-10 and Prod are limited to 10 rounds anyway.

For factory ammo, I am really starting to like Atlanta Arms for my .45. It's a little more expensive that WWB or Blazer, but my Glock seems to like it more and it shoots softer.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I never thought about finding out what ammunition the gun likes. I've ordered 100 rounds of 6 different rounds in 124 and 147 grain bullets for the Vertec. In the mean time, I'll keep working on the trigger pull. Lots of dry fire should help.

If anyone else can thing of anything, please do add.