Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensators

infinity

what can u comment on the compensator attached? what is the advantage of having a light compensator and what advantage if it's a heavy one? are ur barrels cone type or bull or standard? what about the shorty open guns (commander size), are they better than the std sized guns? the one below is called a semi profile since it has some meat below it..i'm wondering if this is an old school comp or can it still be as effective as the new ones? thanks!!

AngOpenSide.jpg

Edited by infinity

that looks like an egw gun

the comp looks like a 5 port egw

the machine work from the comp to slide gap, (or lack of one) and slide lighting cuts looks great.

George smith post here from time to time and might reconize his work

..and i'm just curious about the additional meat below it if it gives an advantage since it's on the heavy side...

The light heavy discussion has been beaten to death. When it comes to open it's all personal preference, there is not right or wrong. I have light 37.0oz, meduim 39.5oz and heavy 47.9oz. open guns and the all shoot pretty flat, the difference is how much they hit your hand. I've settled on the meduim weight gun for not too severe recoil feel and quick movement, but that's me. I know guys who love the really light violent feeling guns because they are so easy to move, other folks like the heavy gun because they are so soft shooting and these folk aren't slowed down by the weight.

You need to shoot different guns and decided what you like.

On the EGW gun above, I think the cut down full profile comp is a combination of style and function. I like good looking guns and the sculpted comp keeps it (the comp) from looking like an afterthough .

..and i'm just curious about the additional meat below it if it gives an advantage since it's on the heavy side...

The light heavy discussion has been beaten to death. When it comes to open it's all personal preference, there is not right or wrong. I have light 37.0oz, meduim 39.5oz and heavy 47.9oz. open guns and the all shoot pretty flat, the difference is how much they hit your hand. I've settled on the meduim weight gun for not too severe recoil feel and quick movement, but that's me. I know guys who love the really light violent feeling guns because they are so easy to move, other folks like the heavy gun because they are so soft shooting and these folk aren't slowed down by the weight.

You need to shoot different guns and decided what you like.

On the EGW gun above, I think the cut down full profile comp is a combination of style and function. I like good looking guns and the sculpted comp keeps it (the comp) from looking like an afterthough .

+1 TMC

I have owned 4 open guns since I joined USPSA in 1987, other than the first one (full profile) all have been a semi profile design and all 4 have been built by the same gunsmith, Otto Matyska. I doubt if Otto has machined the same compensator design twice, as every open gun that I have seen him build I would consider a one-off or as he calls my 13 year old caspian hi-cap, a "prototype"

I think in Open class when you are buying a compensated pistol, you are also buying a pistolsmiths philosophy on what he considers cutting edge at the time and what he as desinger and machinist or in Ottos case a "pattern maker", feels is his best design work. The semi-profile comps I feel look much cleaner than a pipe attached to the barrel.

That being said I dont think my old gun gives anything away in terms of performance as long as long as I do my part...................................

Enjoy

Marty

A-7424

Certain things in this 'game' come and go in a 'fadish' sort of way, sometimes.

Reality reigns!!!!!! :D:D:DB)B)

Frankly what worked good for 175 PF should work just as good for 165 PF.

The present trend towards shorter and lighter Open guns is viewed with a grain of salt by many. Some jump in, but keep their old longer, heavier ones. Others sell their older guns immediately, and after a while yearn for that "stability" of older days, and much more solid red dot. Some swear by the new shorties. Some others swear at them.

The compensator shown also looks a lot like one of those made by Briley, steel or titanium. It does work very nicely.

Some of the older style comps have been revised somewhat and shortened to even better performance.

The real question of debate is whether to go with a light cone-comp in a .575 barrel or heavier with a .583 (bull) heavy-straight/no-cone barrel. Ported barrels seem to be the norm, in addition of the conventional three - five chamber comp. There are of course those "other-newfangled" state of the art brainstorms such as the Arredondo or my own "Hyper-Jet Comp" to really revolutionize the game. Progress indeed has been made to the benefit of all. But do not discard some of those older compensators, so long as they are not burned-out or inefficient.

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

what about those V10 V8 ports? do they help or is it better to go for the comp above and a 4 port hybrid or just a the comp with out barrel ports or comp with the V ports??

My goodness, gracious! Those are a lot of questions. Are you looking for the holy grail of compensators? ;)B)

The reason why a variety of ports have been added to barrels is because they work. Ported barrels to mitigate muzzle flip have been used in one design or another forever now. Some work better than others. Many ported barrels previously did not work as well because the ammo used was not conducive to "vented" duty. Now, of course, with our calculated "handloads", it is a different story.

Porting a barrel results in diverting the gases where the jets formed create a retro-populsion effect reciprocal to the direction of porting. In lay terms it redirects the forces to down and rear. So while muzzle flip is kept on check, some people experience increased perceived recoil in balance with its effectiveness. "Flatness" is the end result, but harsh.

In a conventional compensator the gases are allowed to expand in a directional pattern, thus the gases, while forming less powerfully concentrated jets, will "buffett" the baffles between the chambers, transferring a forward pull momentum to the compensator for a perceived softer recoil base. "Softness" is the end result, but not as flat as direct porting.

Somebody thought of putting the two together for the best of both worlds. :D

While porting upwards will react downwards, there is another objection to firing through a "rifled" barrel: torque transfer in the opposite direction of the barrel twist. There are various designs of "side ports" to create a centrifugal-like anchor to counter or neutralize this perceived torque forces. V-Porting, while not at the optimum 180 degrees will help check some of those torque waves, at the same time as the jets create a downward suppression force too. You could say that ideally, V-Ports are more effective overall than completely vertical ports. Opinions vary, of course.

Unfortunately most commonly available compensators will be manufactured with a regard for what is financially affordable by the buying public, and ease of manufacture. While a "holy grail" expectation is natural, most will settle for what they know has been labeled/recommended as acceptable and is available. I will say no more in that direction, for it would be construed and viewed as advertising one way or another. Suffice it to say, that indeed there are a few affordable and sufficiently efficient designs out there to suit your needs. Should you want more specifics, I would suggest sending a PM to me or any of the reputable 'smiths that post here. :D:D:DB)B);) Maku Mozo!!!!!

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

You also have to remeber that some of the muzzle flip and recoil comes from the slide hitting the end of its travel. Its a fast moving piece of metal and when it hits the end head of the guiderod that kick the gun too, this is where good spring tuning comes into play.

Watch this video, you can see that the gun is fairly stable until the slide hits the end of it travel.

HERE'S another good one

Edited by TMC

Venry,

WOW!! that is the most detailed explanation i've ever received!!! :o sorry for those questions..since i've been shooting standard (IPSC Country) ever since, i have no idea whatsoever about Open Guns and i'm trying to learn more about it and have plans already to have a smith build one.

1 reason i'm so interested with the comp above is because i kinda like the look of the profiled comps instead of the new ones where it just adds to the barrel...btw, which is more advisable, V8 or V10? i assume that since it has more holes i would need to add more powder charge right?!

so here's basically what i've come up with for what i want...the comp above, std frame, V8 or 10 and slide lightened...and also a light scope mount...which is better for v ports a bull barrel, cone, or standard?? :D

It's gonna be a long way to go...but i know it's going to be worthwhile. thanks for all the inputs guys i really appreciate it. Venry, thank u so much for the detailed explanation about porting and comps!! Reall appreciate it!!

Regards!!

AngOpen.jpg

This is how i want mine to look ;)

Edited by infinity

• 5 weeks later...

Infinity, what you are looking forward to (according to the picture) is very attractive. I can say you are headed in the right direction. In addition, I congratulate you for enticing Venry to give you feed back on the compensators. I know he is very well versed on the subject. In about a week or so I will post a few pics of the gun he is building for me. (HOPE THAT IS OK TO SAY) :rolleyes:

One of the things we discussed in length is compensators. You need to consider whether the compensator will perform efficiently and look good or just look good.

Be carefull!!! :unsure:

As stated there are many houses that offer good premade compensators that you can have fitted to your gun. However, as stated earlier it is sometimes better for a pistolsmith to work one in (i.e. machine one from scratch). The pistolsmith will know what that particular gun needs and how it is going to function. There are many relationships that are forgone when you use an off the shelf comp (i.e. do I need a torque bleeder, do I need three, how many ports, should I use a hybrid barrel, etc.). :wacko:

In addition, the pistolsmith will also give you a good idea on where to start with the loads for the gun to not go too crazy when developing your loads. :D

Have fun shooting and I hope I didn't add more confusion to the subject. :D

Venry,

WOW!! that is the most detailed explanation i've ever received!!! :o sorry for those questions..since i've been shooting standard (IPSC Country) ever since, i have no idea whatsoever about Open Guns and i'm trying to learn more about it and have plans already to have a smith build one.

1 reason i'm so interested with the comp above is because i kinda like the look of the profiled comps instead of the new ones where it just adds to the barrel...btw, which is more advisable, V8 or V10? i assume that since it has more holes i would need to add more powder charge right?!

so here's basically what i've come up with for what i want...the comp above, std frame, V8 or 10 and slide lightened...and also a light scope mount...which is better for v ports a bull barrel, cone, or standard?? :D

It's gonna be a long way to go...but i know it's going to be worthwhile. thanks for all the inputs guys i really appreciate it. Venry, thank u so much for the detailed explanation about porting and comps!! Reall appreciate it!!

Regards!!

AngOpen.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Infinity, what you are looking forward to (according to the picture) is very attractive. I can say you are headed in the right direction. In addition, I congratulate you for enticing Venry to give you feed back on the compensators. I know he is very well versed on the subject. In about a week or so I will post a few pics of the gun he is building for me. (HOPE THAT IS OK TO SAY) :rolleyes:

One of the things we discussed in length is compensators. You need to consider whether the compensator will perform efficiently and look good or just look good.

As stated there are many houses that offer good premade compensators that you can have fitted to your gun. However, as stated earlier it is sometimes better for a pistolsmith to work one in (i.e. machine one from scratch). The pistolsmith will know what that particular gun needs and how it is going to function. There are many relationships that are forgone when you use an off the shelf comp (i.e. do I need a torque bleeder, do I need three, how many ports, should I use a hybrid barrel, etc.). :wacko:

In addition, the pistolsmith will also give you a good idea on where to start with the loads for the gun to not go too crazy when developing your loads. :D

Venry,

Regards!!

AngOpen.jpg

Infinity,

Here is the one Venry built for me. It is still being finished.

Happy shooting.

Venry,

Regards!!

AngOpen.jpg

Infinity,

Here is the one Venry built for me. It is still being finished.

Happy shooting.

Ok here it is. For some reason it didn't upload before.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/taz...ewSTIGun010.jpg

Look at that comp. Notice how there is still a piece of the barrel itself that is ported. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/taz...ewSTIGun009.jpg

It works beautifully. Venri let me try out the gun before he finished it just in case I wanted him to make some modifications or changes, but I told him not to touch it. It is awesome as is.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/taz...ewSTIGun008.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/taz...ewSTIGun007.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/taz...ewSTIGun001.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/taz...ewSTIGun002.jpg

Take care and happy shooting.

• 4 months later...
Yup it's an EGW open gun..and i'm just curious about the additional meat below it if it gives an advantage since it's on the heavy side...

Hi All,

Yes there are Many Many comps out there.

The Semi profile in my opinion feels plusher. As the slide travels to the rear the guide rod goes through the comp and keeps it from moving around much. Many people that have gotten back to us say this makes the gun feel plusher.

Inside the bottom is hollow, we are able to use a full size recoil spring system. the fact that it is hollow keeps the weight in line with a round comp.

I you go with the bull barrel 11/16 or .687 thread barrels the back wall of the comp has to approach half an inch. Using a cone you can bring that back to 1/4" or less.

Comps work for a variety of reasons and comp ports, barrel ports, Baffel design, port size, distance from muzzle to first port, side ports, exit hole size, number of ports and impact surfaces, weight etc. are some of the many contributing factors involved.

Thanks for posting the pictures

Warmest regards,

geo

www.egw-guns.com