Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Revolver In Production

EricBudd

Hi,

I'm running a USPSA Classifier match next month at Guthsville Rod and Gun (MID19) and I just got an email form a local shooter who wanted to know about shooting an 8 shot S&W revolver in production. I don't see that it should be a problem, but I wanted to check with people who know more than I do.

I think that it should be ok as long as the equipment placement meets production requirements.

Thanks,

Eric

Actually, I think in Production, any revolver on the list is legal. I do believe however that they will have to put their pouches or moon clip/speed loader holders to the side or behind just like production shooters with bottom feeders must now do. It might be better if they shot Limited 10 since they don't have the same restrictions on equipment as Production does. They would also have to have some sort of production holster, blade tech, fobus, or other non race related holster. Limited 10 he can fire all 8 rounds and still have a race rig, otherwise it has to jibe with the division requirements.

Vince

US Appendix D9 covers Production requirements, with a couple of specific notes for revolvers. There is an 8.5 inch barrel length restriction, and speed loaders have to be behind the point of the hip, just like magazines. As long as he's in compliance with the rest of the rules for that Division, he's good to go.

Troy

Unless he's really good, tell him to bring some knee pads so he doesn't scrape his knees when he's looking for his name in the match results. (I don't yet shoot revo, but I'm speaking from prior experience in other divisions!)

I primarily shoot the Revo division, but occasionally have shot Production with my 8-round 627-4 .38 Super (loaded with 9mm factory stuff) and a kydex belt rig, and everything scooted back behind the hipbones. It's pretty fun, I can usually put myself in the middle of the pack at local matches with this set-up.

I know that the local people here with 8 shooters usually shoot L10 Minor since you can keep your Revo Rig the way it is without having to worry about moving things back behind the hip bone or getting other equipment specific to Production. Some did well in the standings and it's good practice for ICORE since you don't have to get in the habit of reloading after 6. I thought it was a pretty good idea in that vein.

Vince