Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 625, Finally

Walt S

<_<

I have now been shooting Steel and IPSC for 1 ½ years. Started out the right way, I think. Used my existing guns, bought what I thought I needed, didn’t jump into anything. All this as the old timers say a new shooter should start out.

Shot my Dan Wesson 357/38 until it broke, then used my Colt snub nose until I got a S&W model 10, and then a 9mm largo bottom feeder (Oooops). When it broke I got another one, that broke. In the mean time I have bought dies, bullets, different powders, speed loaders (all kinds) and many mags. NOW I ASK YOU, have I really saved any money. Got a nice S&W model 66 that had been tuned. Had it ported for moon clips. Thin moon clips at .022 of and inch. Hard to load as the 38 specials flexed to much while in the clips.

My friend and mentor (Jerry V) had been suggesting that I get a 625 if I was really going to try and do something with a revolver. Well I got one three weeks ago and Jerry tuned it for me. We all know you don’t take a new gun out and compete with it till you have broken it in and gotten used to it. Well, Jerry gave me 350 rounds and off I went to the Idaho Spud Gun State Championship. The next day I shot at the Nampa clubs meet. I shot better than I ever have Saturday and even better on Sunday. Now I’m going to break it in and get use to the sight pattern and handling characteristics.

:P

BOTTOM LINE, I should have done this long ago. Would have saved time, money and been doing a better job of competing. And …………….. thanks to my friends like Jerry V that have stuck by me and helped me during my first year. This is a great sport made up of many fine people.

:D:D

<_<

I have now been shooting Steel and IPSC for 1 ½ years. Started out the right way, I think. Used my existing guns, bought what I thought I needed, didn’t jump into anything. All this as the old timers say a new shooter should start out.

Shot my Dan Wesson 357/38 until it broke, then used my Colt snub nose until I got a S&W model 10, and then a 9mm largo bottom feeder (Oooops). When it broke I got another one, that broke. In the mean time I have bought dies, bullets, different powders, speed loaders (all kinds) and many mags. NOW I ASK YOU, have I really saved any money. Got a nice S&W model 66 that had been tuned. Had it ported for moon clips. Thin moon clips at .022 of and inch. Hard to load as the 38 specials flexed to much while in the clips.

My friend and mentor (Jerry V) had been suggesting that I get a 625 if I was really going to try and do something with a revolver. Well I got one three weeks ago and Jerry tuned it for me. We all know you don’t take a new gun out and compete with it till you have broken it in and gotten used to it. Well, Jerry gave me 350 rounds and off I went to the Idaho Spud Gun State Championship. The next day I shot at the Nampa clubs meet. I shot better than I ever have Saturday and even better on Sunday. Now I’m going to break it in and get use to the sight pattern and handling characteristics.

:P

BOTTOM LINE, I should have done this long ago. Would have saved time, money and been doing a better job of competing. And …………….. thanks to my friends like Jerry V that have stuck by me and helped me during my first year. This is a great sport made up of many fine people.

:D:D

Amen, Brother!

Yep. You can have fun with the other guns, but if you're serious about IPSC/USPSA shooting, the .45 ACP wheelgun is definitely the way to go. On our paired revolver squads at the Kansas match, I saw one .357 L-frame (Bubber's), one 25-2, and everybody else had a 625.

The good news: A nice 625 is not real expensive (my pair cost $450 each slightly used, both gun show purchases), and it needs only an action job and a chamfer to be completely competitive on the national level.

Friend - yes........mentor ??? nah, a little too PC for me :lol: but always willing to help ;)

Would like to add that I thought Walt was quicker & smoother when he used Comp III's for the Mod. 66 compared to when he used moonclips. It seems if you're gonna use a K or L frame 38spl/357 for IPSC, stick with speedloaders.

Though I started out with a 610 and liked it, after using a 625 for the last 8 mos, I understand why it's the most popular choice for Revolver Div.....it has all the desired attributes for a IPSC revolver: fast reloads, major power factor and accuracy.

Hey Walt, it's good to see that 625 now in your holster........hopefully no more lame excuses when the match results are posted......right !! :P

Hey Walt, it's good to see that 625 now in your holster........hopefully no more lame excuses when the match results are posted......right !!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B)B)B)B)

Right, I'm sure I've run out of lame excuses by now. It's time to shoot ! :ph34r: