Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 "skipped" Primer

My 1050 skipped a primer - I mean it skipped it across my loading bench and onto the floor. I had 10 primer tubes loaded and was trying for a PB on time for loading a thousand rounds when after about 850 rounds it happened - the 1050 missed seating the primer.

Should I sell it or send it back to Dillon for a total rebuild? :huh:B)

My 1050 did that a few times. Not sure what fixed it. Try looking at the rubber sleave on the primer slide. If it is nibbled at the contact point, you can spin it around. Get some small vacuum hose from the auto parts store for a replacement.

It may be that you have been working your press hard, and it wants a vacation. A nice trip to Arizona might do it a world of good. B)

The odds are that either the plastic magazine tip and/or the rubber sleeve on the back of the primer slide are worn. What happens is that when the slide fails to fully retract, or if the magazine tip is damaged, the primer is flipped into the oval trash cutout in front of the proper primer hole in the primer slide. This is then dumped through a trash hole milled through the frame, and falls out the underside of the frame, bouncing off to parts heretofore unexplored by primers. :ph34r:

The odds are that either the plastic magazine tip and/or the rubber sleeve on the back of the primer slide are worn. What happens is that when the slide fails to fully retract, or if the magazine tip is damaged, the primer is flipped into the oval trash cutout in front of the proper primer hole in the primer slide. This is then dumped through a trash hole milled through the frame, and falls out the underside of the frame, bouncing off to parts heretofore unexplored by primers. :ph34r:

OMG -someone took my tongue in cheek post meant as a glowing testimonial of my love for my RL1050s as an actual complaint. After truly slamming the handle down as fast as I could for well over 800 rounds I finally succeeded in getting a primer NOT to seat....I just went crazy on my speed run and I am lucky I did not pull the table from the wall I was going so fast. My normal failure rate is nothing....per 1000 rounds loaded.

If nothing else this post shows that Dillon takes complaints so very seriously that even a 1 in 1000 failure rate it unacceptable. KUDOS to DILLON! :D