Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Think I Started Calling My Shots!

baa

Last weekend, my wife and I were practicing prior to the monthly IDPA match in our area (we shoot both IDPA and USPSA and try to practice IDPA rules shooting at least once a month.)

So, we go to the range and set up three targets down range and stacked up some barrels to practice shooting around cover. As I am shooting from the right side of the barrels, I engage the left most of the three targets and break my first shot and thought to myself, "That hit the upper left corner of the down -3 zone of the target" and immediately put a makeup shot into the -0 zone. I didn't think a whole lot about it until I strolled up to the targets to tape them and saw the call hole EXACTLY where I called it. Then it struck me. I finally registered the relation of my sights to the target at the exact moment the shot broke. I swear I felt a snap in my skull as I grasped what happened. As we continued practicing, I found that while I was not calling every single shot, at least 70% of the time I knew exactly where the shot went, without looking at the holes in the target. The next day at the IDPA match this trend continued and I placed as well as I have ever placed in a match.

Its a wierd feeling and I am not sure I am describing it well. I feel like I conciously know where my shots are going without forcing myself to remember what I saw before I broke the shot. I think the fact I have been forcing myself to focus on group shooting (when I really want to set targets up and hose them) has helped me begin to develop this ability. Really focusing on the sights while attempting to shoot as small a group as possible has done wonders for my ability to process what's going on at high speed.

So, to the more experienced shooters out there- Is this what you all mean by calling your shot?

No Charles, that's cheating! :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, that's it. Now I expect you to help the rest of us un-enlightened ones starting tonight! :P

You may go to the back of the line,I AM FIRST :D

PAT

No Charles, that's cheating! :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, that's it. Now I expect you to help the rest of us un-enlightened ones starting tonight! :P

You may go to the back of the line,I AM FIRST :D

PAT

It might help Pat if you put a little more powder in those loads you're shooting. I saw how fast your splits were on stage 5 and how some of your bullets were still stuck in the back target at 25 yards. Plus you won't have to aim your gun up so high when shooting a 25 yard target. lol

Your rounds sound like marracas.

Edited by Cjblackmon

It might help Pat if you put a little more powder in those loads you're shooting. I saw how fast your splits were on stage 5 and how some of your bullets were still stuck in the back target at 25 yards. Plus you won't have to aim your gun up so high when shooting a 25 yard target. lol

Your rounds sound like marracas.

POWDER :ph34r:

And your shooting WWB .45 loads, Chad? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :)

And for the record, IDPA rules say you only have to classify once a year :D

See you all tonight!

And your shooting WWB .45 loads, Chad? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :)

And for the record, IDPA rules say you only have to classify once a year :D

See you all tonight!

WWB??? Puleeeeeeeease!

Sellier and Bellot Ammo Baby!! Real man's ammo!!!!!!

Jim,

I think is time for us to have a chrono stage. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

It's been done before .... a port in a wall that leads to a 25 yard popper with a chrono behind the port.

During the walkthrough it stated that shooting the prop (chrono) is a match DQ.