Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super

hdgun

just a poll, any one out there using 38 super major in a revo?

If so what are your loads? How do they feel? ( felt recoil )

A couriouse mind wants to know.

Thanks, John

I do in a 627-4 for L-10. My load is 5.5 grains VV3N37, R&P brass, Fed primer and 160grain RN Billy moly coated bullet. This makes 167.3 PF out of 'MY' revolver. It is a redline load as indicated by primers but I have never 'blown' one or split a case. I discard after 5 reloadings. Extraction is normal, preceived recoil seems a BIT milder than my 45ACP load which is 4 grains of Clays over a 230 RN Billy, 168.5 PF. Since you are just "curious" I strongly suggest if your thinking about major PF you work up your own load for your particular revolver using a chronograph and start 20% low on the powder weight. I have also used VV340 but it was to fast in my revolver but I shoot with someone who uses it in his 627-4 and it works very well for him although I don't REALLY know what his PF is.

THANKS FOR THE INFO.

And yes, I am working up loads for a 5" 686 chambered for 9x23. unusual, yes!!

I have been playing more with Major9 than anything else.

I am just trying to get a feel to see if any body else was doing the same.

I normally shoot a 610 with 40S&W.

Thanks for the link Bill. I knew I saw it some where!

I have a 686 5" convertion chambered in 9x23. Like you, i have been playing with the 158 berry bullet. i have not tried the Unique yet but it will be on the list of powders to try.

Since the gun is chambered for 9x23, just about anything 9 will chamber fine, With that said, 9major and 9x21 is on my mind.

So far, 158 berry with 4.5 Titgroup 9mm shoots @ 160PF

it shoots pretty soft and 25 yrd group ( rest on a bench ) is about 2.5", which would meet your head shot requirment.

A shooting buddy gave me some of his 9x21 ( major in his Bedell shorty ) gave me a 161PF, again pretty soft. This load is with WW540 ( HS-6 ) and a 115 JHP

My 9major for my auto is 8.2 HS-6 w/124FMJ 170PF (auto)

In the Revo it comes out to 162PF.

The testing continues.

I do in a 627-4 for L-10. My load is 5.5 grains VV3N37, R&P brass, Fed primer and 160grain RN Billy moly coated bullet. This makes 167.3 PF out of 'MY' revolver. It is a redline load as indicated by primers but I have never 'blown' one or split a case. I discard after 5 reloadings. Extraction is normal, preceived recoil seems a BIT milder than my 45ACP load which is 4 grains of Clays over a 230 RN Billy, 168.5 PF. Since you are just "curious" I strongly suggest if your thinking about major PF you work up your own load for your particular revolver using a chronograph and start 20% low on the powder weight. I have also used VV340 but it was to fast in my revolver but I shoot with someone who uses it in his 627-4 and it works very well for him although I don't REALLY know what his PF is.

Mark the load I'm using is 160gr billy bullet with 5.1gr VV340, and my open revo is 1060 fps and my limited is about 1040 fps. It's strange that the open revo is magna-ported and produces more fps.

The other major load I used was 115gr montana gold with 11.2gr VVn105, 1650 out of my open gun. I use this load now with 115gr hornady xtp to clean out the ports on the gun

JR, are your 160 bullets sized .357 or .358? I have tried both and my 627 likes the .357. Last time I ordered Rudy and I spoke about size. From what I gather some 38S shooters use the .358's. In my experience VV powder varies lot to lot a BUNCH which may explain velocity difference. Mark