Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 625, Removing The Underlug? (pics Added)

ysued

I was reading Nemos post about the Titanium Cylinder, and I was wondering....

What do you revolver guys think about milling off the Full Underlug from a 5" 625??

I have a 5" 625-4 and I had the 4" Miculek Special barrel & Cylinder (this is the 4" barrels with the Standard Ejector Rod Shorud) installed on my other 625-4.

Do you guys think that removing the extra weight from the front of the 5" barrel is a wise thing to do??

From this:

zx639w.jpg

To This:

zx62q1.jpg

Sorry about the Crappy Photoshop, but I did them in a hurry!!

Nemo and I were having a brain fart about this on the phone this morning, I think is a good idea, not having the extra wieght on the front of the gun!! IMHO not having the estra weight helps while swinging the gun from target to target. Am I wrong??

Thanks in advance for your wise advise!!

Thanks

Y

Edited by ysued

YSued has been my steady supplier of 625's over the years. We were talking about this just this morning, but I wouldn't venture into that 'til after I try the revo with the Ti cylinder. I would definitely try it on a gun with a 6" full UL bbl, but I'm very much used to the 625's weight and balance.

Randy, is that something you can do?

FWIW, that's pretty close to the configuration of a PC625 w/5" barrel . I have one, and do like the balance.

But, I've not played with a stock 625 much.

Comparing Revolvers:

6" M28 - 4" M29 - 5"PC625

I actually like the balance of the PC625, the M29 feels heavier, yet with 44 Russians kicks a bit more and the M28 well it's a .357 and at major it just seems more violent than the others.

Do it yourself'ers could use a Dremel even!

I would predict a statistical dead heat (50/50 split) between those that like the additional weight on the end of the gun to reduce recoil and the "lighter points faster" crowd.

My move to the Ti cylinders wasn't done to reduce the overall weight of the gun; just to reduce the rotating mass that has to start and stop about four or five times a second (assuming ~.20 - .25 second splits. YMMV).

I would predict a statistical dead heat (50/50 split) between those that like the additional weight on the end of the gun to reduce recoil and the "lighter points faster" crowd.

My move to the Ti cylinders wasn't done to reduce the overall weight of the gun; just to reduce the rotating mass that has to start and stop about four or five times a second (assuming ~.20 - .25 second splits. YMMV).

that's what I thought!!

But I lopped off the Long Heavy dust Cover on my STI EDGE and cut the Standard Scallops on the Slide!!, just to reduce weight!!

Y

The lighter mass of the cylinder is one of the reasons I sprung for the PC. But, I don't see a difference in speed between it and the M29. As for wear?

I'd be interested in the torture testing of 2 like 625's w/w'out Ti Cylinders. If a Blue 25 could be added in, it would be close to the answer of all things in the Universe.

Hybrid.bmp Well, if you're gonna push the envelope, push it HARD!!

Barrel & Cylinder from a 325PD.

(if lighter is better just shoot the 325PD)

Edited by Waltermitty

I have shot one of the PC 625 with the lug milled off for the last 4 or 5 years. I just recently drank the Randy Lee kool-aid and got me a stock 625 with the ti cylinder. My new stock 625 with the ti cylinder and full lug barrel feels like a feather compared to the old 625PC. I would think if you milled the full lug off it would feel even lighter, thus giving you more noticeable muzzle flip on the recoil.

Just my 2cents.

Tom

Hybrid.bmp

I shot a 325PD for a very short time in IDPA after the PF was changed. It beat the hell out of the gun. Excessive end shake in very short order. Not to forget what it did to my hands.

To use it for a 300 round major match would probably kill the gun with 170PF loads. Now, if you were to shoot minor, maybe it would be a good choice.

I am still not convinced any of the Ty parts are more than just a fad. Maybe I am just not a good enough shooter to know the difference or maybe just too damn cheap. Either way, I will stick to the 25-2 and leave the fancy stuff to the big kids :)

Regards,

Gary

I had been thinking about doing something very close to the first PS pic above with my sons 686+, the main reason I decided against it was the upcoming rule change in ICORE re: stock configuration barrels. If it would be still legal in USPSA, I could see doing it. Plus there is a not too small cool factor in a custom contour barrel. B)

Dave Wilson

Hybrid.bmp Well, if you're gonna push the envelope, push it HARD!!

Barrel & Cylinder from a 325PD.

that there is a Kewl setup, but it hurts my wimpy hands by just looking at it!! :(:(:(

I know, I know, I'm a winnie!!

:P:P:P

But a Happy Winnie!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Y

I am still not convinced any of the Ty parts are more than just a fad. Maybe I am just not a good enough shooter to know the difference or maybe just too damn cheap. Either way, I will stick to the 25-2 and leave the fancy stuff to the big kids :)

Regards,

Gary

that there is me, I have told Nemo on several ocassions that I'm not a Titanium kind of guy!!

I have seen Titanium wear in some goofy ways on 1911's, but I believe others that calaim sucess with their Ti parts on Wheelguns!!

I'll stick to my 2 625-4's!!

The original one and the one with the PC Barrel and Cylinder in 4"

Y

I have shot one of the PC 625 with the lug milled off for the last 4 or 5 years. I just recently drank the Randy Lee kool-aid and got me a stock 625 with the ti cylinder. My new stock 625 with the ti cylinder and full lug barrel feels like a feather compared to the old 625PC. I would think if you milled the full lug off it would feel even lighter, thus giving you more noticeable muzzle flip on the recoil.

Just my 2cents.

Tom

I would Mill of the Underlug and retain the SS Cylinder, what do you think??

It won't be as fast as the Ti Cylinder, but I'm not that fast anyway :P:P

Y

Howdy guys,

We put a Ti cylinder on J. Bagakis's 625 along with a 25-2 6.5" barrel. The recoil is a bit too snappy for me. The 5" full lug bbl with a Ti cylinder is about as light as I would like.

The Franken gun has the full lug 6.5" barrel on it and once it's finally put together I'll have a better idea of its handling characteristics. It'll probably still have some cut off the underlug.

I know, I know, I'm a winnie!!

:P:P:P

That you are...

that there is me, I have told Nemo on several ocassions that I'm not a Titanium kind of guy!!

I have seen Titanium wear in some goofy ways on 1911's, but I believe others that calaim sucess with their Ti parts on Wheelguns!!

I've come to the conclusion that you do it only to do the opposite of whatever I do, but I'm perfectly ok with that!

;)

If you're building a Revolver with USPSA in mind, right now it's pretty open. But? I seem to remember a post from someone saying that the Board of USPSA may review Revolver Division Criteria in 2007. So?

Maybe ICORE should go to 3 Divisions Open, Limited & Production? Things just never stay static.

There we go again!!

I hope USPSA doesn't screw up the Revolver Division!!

It would be a great idea to have those 3 Divisions in ICORE!!

IMHO, this will bring new shooters, that will start with Production and eventually move up to Limited or open, depending on thier skills, means or tastes.

If you're building a Revolver with USPSA in mind, right now it's pretty open. But? I seem to remember a post from someone saying that the Board of USPSA may review Revolver Division Criteria in 2007. So?

Maybe ICORE should go to 3 Divisions Open, Limited & Production? Things just never stay static.

What do you revolver guys think about milling off the Full Underlug from a 5" 625??

Honestly? Why bother. A stock 625 with a decent action is all anybody needs. The rest of the gimmicks and mods might be fun, but they are certainly not necessary.

Mike, I'm shocked you would pass up a chance to have at a gun with your trusty dremel tool...

Word. A man with an avatar like Carmoney's and he's dissing a potential milling operation??! :o

Good point. I have changed my mind. And my BEnosverse signature.

.....BBBBAAAAAAA!!!!!......where's the rest if it????

Add a Ti cylinder and recoil becomes "snappy?" Real men have shot pin loads, and any mere 165PF load cannot be called "snappy." That said, I'm looking forward to trying my 25-2 with Ti cylinder.

Snappy? Now, the 329PD with full-house 44MAG loads is a little snappy...(ouchie)

Good point. I have changed my mind. And my BEnosverse signature.

Et Tu Patrick??

Y

Snappy? Now, the 329PD with full-house 44MAG loads is a little snappy...(ouchie)

Noooo, that's just plain Vicious!!!