Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magpul Precision Rifle Stock

norbs007

Anybody using one of these for 3-gun? Is it too heavy whipping it around? Thanks.

prs_2.jpg

Not that anyone would call me a great 3-gunner but I have a Magpul on my AR and like it a lot. It's not heavy at all and I just love being able to adjust length of pull or comb height so easily. I'm thinking of putting one on my 9 mm RR carbine too.

Sam Spiteri

norbs007,

The new Magpul stock is very nice, but unless you're having problems getting a proper cheek weld, I would not use one on a competition rifle. They are a little heavier and they help balance out a precision rifle setup, but as Cactus Tactical noted, they are quite expensive. I would spend the extra money on ammo and get in some more practice.

Erik

The PRS weighs 28.5 ounces without a spring or buffer, so it's plenty heavy. Even though we sell them, I can't recommend for a 3-gun rifle. Great for precision setups though.

If you have to use the adjustable comb you will have trouble operating the charging handle during any malf clearing. No big deal gunning p-dogs, but time goes fast in the middle of a stage. If a perfect cheekweld is your goal, look at a mount that better suits your needs. 3-gun optics don't typically fall into the "big objective" category, so getting a good mount height is not generally a difficult problem.

Maybe I'm missing something here on mine... the charging handle clears the cheekpiece just fine.

I've actually been considering taking it apart (pieces-parts-on-the-floor apart) and removing the ball detent for the cheekpiece adjuster... the one on my HP rifles stays put just fine w/o a ball detent mucking up the travel of the wheel... Anyone here try that yet?

If you have to use the adjustable comb you will have trouble operating the charging handle during any malf clearing.

Sorry, have to disagree here. No problem using the charging handle at all. There is no difference using the charging handle when initially loading the chamber and when doing malfunction drills, so I think your "concern" is unwarranted. I have been using one of these stocks since they first came out last fall on one of our competition guns (we got one of the pre-production models) and have had no problems at all.

• 1 month later...