Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder For 200 Grain, Long Loaded, W/ Good 50 Yd Perfomance?

I'm on my last dregs of WSL and I'm looking for a powder to load to 170PF, 200 grain Precision Delta (FMJ), loaded to about 1.17-8" that has good performance at 50 yards.

My current load with WSL groups well at 25-50'. But at 50 yards it was giving me 2 foot groups off hand. I suspected that the volume of the case relative to the powder charge's volume was playing a factor. So for one string I tipped the barrel up (to ensure that the powder was relatively stacked and slowly brought it down and fired. I got 5 shot groups at about 8-10" offhand.

Searching the threads for 200 grain loads there wasn't a lot of mention of their performance at longer ranges of say 35-50 yards. How's your favorite 200 grain load at 50 yards?

• 3 months later...
Searching the threads for 200 grain loads there wasn't a lot of mention of their performance at longer ranges of say 35-50 yards. How's your favorite 200 grain load at 50 yards?

I am using 4.3 of AA2 with hardcast lead, fed primers. When I shoot from a rest at 50 yards I can keep my groups under 3". Alot I believe depends on the barrel (.400 Utilmatch) and the gun has accurails.

Otherwise it is a nice load, like always use a chrono start low and be safe..

About 4.5-4.6 gr UClays works OK for me.

In my pistol, 50 yds seems to be pushing the bounds of reasonablility with PD 200's. This is *my pistol* - I know people are shooting the 'Cup with PD's and doing fine.

180 gr. Zero HP's were guaranteed upper A/B hits off hand at 40 yds last night. Pretty sure I'll be ordering a lot more of those from Angus and using the PD's for practice and shorter matches.

Edited by EricW

I get good results from my SVI with 200 gr Montana Gold and VV N340.

About 5.5 grs puts the power factor about where you want it.

Accuracy has been outstanding.

Can't speak about 200 gr Precision Deltas, but have tried their 180's with N320.

Accuracy with this load was not as good as the MG/N340 in my gun. YMMV.

Tls

Edited by tlshores