Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Primer Feed Wheel

I am having trouble with primer getting stuck in the wheel frequently and I have to break the primer feed down to get them unstuck. I am using Winchester Small Pistol primer. Any suggestion?

I am assuming that it is the primers that are not seated into a case that are jamming the disc as they try to fall out the bottom of the disc. You can try taking a dremel tool with a kratex cone to polish the openings of the funnel, but the most likely cause is simply that the primers are sufficiently out of round not to drop completely through. Try a different lot or brand of primers. According to our most recent dimensional checks, Remington are the most concentric, at least out of the ones we measured. Primers have brass cups and anvils, are rather soft, and easily deformed during the manufacturing process. How far do the primers stick out the bottom before they stop? :ph34r:

Let me explain a little betteras 2 scenerios have been occuring. 1. When the wheel gets jammed and I look at it from the top, what I see is that the wheel has only been indexed half as far as it should have (I am guessing from a half stroke caused a crushed case in the sizer)and the primer is not sitting directly on top of the punch and I can not get the primer wheel to realign. 2 - The ones that are stuck after the punch are barely sticking out of the bottom of the wheel and appear to be slightly at an angle.

The primer I am using are from the same batch of 10000 that I bought last year. They worked fine on my SDB.

Todd,

I had a similar problem with a batch of Fed Match primers.

Switched to Win. and the problem disappeared.

Another batch of standard Fed. primers works fine also.

If for any reason a primer was not seated and bypassed the priming station it would turn slightly sideways in the wheel and jam the feed wheel , sometimes breaking the ring indexer as I tried to get things unstuck.

Just .02

Travis F.

toddrod,

If at all possible, try a different batch/brand of primers. If problem continues, drop me a personal message, include your address, and I will polish a disc and mail it to you. :ph34r:

Dillon,

Just wanted to let you know that I have fixed my 650 and these were the problems I found with the priming system.

1. The holes in the priming disc had multiple burrs and an overall rough finish, so I spent almost an hour with the Dremel polishing the surface and inside of the holes until they shined like a mirror.

2. The primer indexing arm bar (the part that is inside of the spring) was bent upward causing it to bind and not do a full index with each stroke. This was causing 2 problems that I could see. First the primers were coming over the punch out of alignment and getting crushed on occasion. Secondly, the index arm was not going back all the way and pushing the primers out of the disc when I would get out of sequence causing them to get jammed in the disc. THE FIX- Took the index arm and straightened it out and now it is working OK for now.

• 3 weeks later...

I develloped a bad habit of hesitation on my 550 that tollerated it the 650 does not tolerate hesitation on the operating handle. one I cured that hesitation it hardly ever fails to index the primer disk fully and has not broken another indexing ring. you may still have othewr problems as posted