Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crushing Cases With Powder Die

I have an increasing problem with my powder die (.38 caliber). It seems to "grab" cases, sticking, and overbelling or crushing the cases if pushed thru. When this happens, little or no powder is dropped. It happens less than 5% of the time, but, over time has cost me a lot of brass. I do not know if this is an indexing problem with the shell plate, or, a problem with the die. Any suggestions? It seems as if the case is out of allignment, or, the die is crooked (but, upon inspection, is not)

If it is overbelling and not dropping powder the funnel and/or powder measure is jammed.

Pop the measure off and see if it functions smoothly by pushing the slide by hand. If it doesn't work smoothly EVERY time send it to Dillon. Then remove the funnel, clean it inside and out with alcohol, do the same to the inside of the powder die.

If you don't see any apparent problems send the measure to Dillon with a note describing what happens, they will fix it for you and send it back.

Odds are VERY high that the problem is in the measure mechanism itself.

First, be sure the correct powder funnel is installed. It should have a letter "D" stamped in the groove turned near the top of the funnel. Next, be sure you have #2 brass locator pins installed, and that the shellplate has a #2 stamped on it as well. Be sure the powder funnel moves freely inside the powder die. Test this by removing the powder measure, then gently push up on the bottom of the funnel with a finger. If sticky, try cleaning both the interior of the die and the exterior of the funnel using a scotchbrite pad or steel wool, then wipe with solvent. :ph34r:

First, be sure the correct powder funnel is installed. It should have a letter "D" stamped in the groove turned near the top of the funnel. Next, be sure you have #2 brass locator pins installed, and that the shellplate has a #2 stamped on it as well. Be sure the powder funnel moves freely inside the powder die. Test this by removing the powder measure, then gently push up on the bottom of the funnel with a finger. If sticky, try cleaning both the interior of the die and the exterior of the funnel using a scotchbrite pad or steel wool, then wipe with solvent. :ph34r:

Thank you both

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you both

Any other ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I had this issue with mine as well. The empties were misaligned because my shell plate was too loose. This allowed the empty to walk out of place just enough to catch the lip of the powder funnel and peel back the edge like a banana peel. I tightened the shell plate and the problem disappeared. I noticed this was happening because each time I rotated the shell plate, the shells were able to rock back and forth in place. Hope this will help.

I have had the same problem three times (in nearly 20 years with the 550). Everytime it was exactly as you described it and, I noticed, there was just a bit more resistance as the casing went up into the powder measure. Didn't happen every case or every other case, but too often to ignore. Everytime it was when I was using rifle powders, AA 5744, IMR 4895 and IMR 4198. Each time, cleaning the measure and funnel as suggested here immediately cured it.

I don't know "why" it happened, and it happened with three different powder measures, three different calibers and three different powders. All I am sure of is the cure.

Someone suggested that, maybe, the powder had gotten damp, some moisture causing it to lump together. Don't see how that could have happened but, after cleaning, it worked without a problem. The first time, I threw the powder away, just to be sure.

Good Luck,

Bob

I have had the same problem three times (in nearly 20 years with the 550). Everytime it was exactly as you described it and, I noticed, there was just a bit more resistance as the casing went up into the powder measure. Didn't happen every case or every other case, but too often to ignore. Everytime it was when I was using rifle powders, AA 5744, IMR 4895 and IMR 4198. Each time, cleaning the measure and funnel as suggested here immediately cured it.

I don't know "why" it happened, and it happened with three different powder measures, three different calibers and three different powders. All I am sure of is the cure.

Someone suggested that, maybe, the powder had gotten damp, some moisture causing it to lump together. Don't see how that could have happened but, after cleaning, it worked without a problem. The first time, I threw the powder away, just to be sure.

Good Luck,

Bob

Thanks for the ideas.