Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ssr For Idpa

RobE1010

I'm looking to try SSR in IDPA to get re-acquainted with the revolver. Do I go with an old M19 or a slicked up M686? I'm trying to decide which would be better for use with Safariland Comp III speedloaders and the standard Shoot-the-Moon holders. Yes, I know the M625 is the way to go for ESR and USPSA but I want to have fun with the speedloaders...more excuses that way, right?! :) Any suggestions?

Rob, Can't go wrong with either choice. I don't shoot IDPA but like my 686. I wore out a 586 many years ago. I don't know what model the 19 is (K or L) but many of the IDPA shooters I know like the K frame, (66). Not much help though

4" 686 will be a great revo for SSR. The Safariland loaders work great but the shoot the moon holders are not allowed for SSR gear. Check out Moonclip.com as Tom is closing out his BladeTech holders at a great price.

Good luck, and don't invest a lot in IDPA gear for revolver. It is a very fluid division rule wise :ph34r:

It's pretty much a toss-up. I've got a M19 and a M681, and I've decided that the M19 will be my dedicated SSR gun since I feel it reloads faster...and I don't use it for anything else, anyway. ;) It's got those gamer adjustable sights! :D

I've got some of those BladeTech holders and like and use them. If you have no desire to use a revolver for concealed carry, though, the speedloader holders available from http://www.pistolpacking.com look like they'd work better for competition.

I've used both and feel the 19/66 will reload a little faster (just me perhaps, but there is less metal between cylinder holes although marginal) and feels more alive overall.

Another vote for Chris at pistolpacking.com !!!

Great products and better service !!!

Well, I was going to consider shooting SSR at the IDPA Nationals since I will be going. As it gets closer and depending on what I decide, I'll let you know. I have a couple 686's and would be more than willing to offer one if you need it in an emergency, Bones.

Every once in a while I'll drag out my old Model 27 and use it at an IDPA match using my home brewed 125 grain major power factor .357 mag loads. For some reason nobody will RO me twice in a row. :rolleyes: It sure is fun, though.