Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 01 Pontiac Grand Am has been riding like a giant hunk of crap for some time now. I have wondered if replacing the shocks/struts would fix this. A friend of mine that is semi mechanically inclined has recently told me the problem was most likely the struts, and if replaced would ride almost like new again. I am told that this job requires a special set of tools, and isnt to be attempted by people (such as myself) who are functionally retarded when it comes to mechanical things.

Does anyone have any advice to offer on this? Any horror stories concerning any of the major shops such as Mieneke, Pep Boys, etc...? What should I expect to pay for this?

The front, drivers side wheel also has a wierd vibration to it that feels like the wheels are out of balance. It is a kinda up and down, like you can feel the tire come off the ground, and then smack the pavement. This doesnt happen all the time, though more prevelant when you let off the gas. Is this a problem possibly related to the struts also? Is this a CV joint problem? Should I do 1 item first, then the other, or both at the same time?

Thanks for any help, and I am sorry if this doesnt make any sense.

Struts can be dangerous if not handled properly. They are pressurized and the ram can "surprise" you if you don't know what you are doing. My dad put a real neat dent in a car with one a few years ago. You also need to have an alignment done after the struts are replaced so you need to hit a shop anyway.

Take it somewhere that specializes in the work and have them do it for you. It isn't cheap but it makes a huge difference in the ride. If memory serves my Outback ran me about $700 start to finish. I dropped it off and got a call about 3 or 4 hours later that it was ready to go. Drove like a new car.

It does require some special tools, and if done incorrectly can cause some real issues and you will need an alignment. If it a other wise good car, have it done. Have the drive line joints checked and serviced at the same time, that could be the vibration you feel.-----Larry

Does anyone have any advice to offer on this? Any horror stories concerning any of the major shops such as Mieneke, Pep Boys, etc...? What should I expect to pay for this?

I have replaced the struts on two cars. You need a long breaker bar and some very sturdy sockets to free up the bolts that hold them in the front assembly. I broke a socket cranking on one.

You also have to be very careful about the handling of the hub assembly as you can easily damage the brake hoses.

You will have to buy the clamp assemblies used to compress the springs to allow strut replacement.The front end will absolutely need to be re-aligned professionally after the struts are replaced because this alters the wheel alignment.

Overall, considering how dangerous it is and how difficult it is, I would never try it again in a home garage. I was a lot younger and dumber 20 years ago......

:rolleyes:

PEP Boys has done good brake work for us, they are probably OK for struts. Check prices on struts and see if they will do a "carry in" or if you have to buy them there.

Edited by bountyhunter

I just did mine on a 97 buick lesabre, very similar chassis to your car.

It's about 10x harder than doing a brake job, and about 1/10th as hard as replacing a motor.

The rear's are a piece of cake, relatively.

The front's you will need a spring compressor tool (can be borrowed from some auto parts stores) and you really ought to read the service manual's instructions for what order to remove fasteners. Compressed coil springs have a lot of stored energy, keep that in mind at all times.

Thanks guys for all the info. I found a Midas that will replace the front and do an alignment for $300. I figure that cost is worth it to avoid the headache and potential injury. I am gonna have them go through the rest of the suspension system for a look-see before they do it, as I am also wondering if it isnt perhaps a combination of other smaller problems.