Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Press Check Method...

Pittbug

Not to hijack the thread but I see at the big matches all the time the Super Squads rack the slide, insert finger inside the trigger guard and dry fire a couple of times at targets after the LAMR command has been given. Is this not a DQ?

DaG

Nope. At least not in USPSA, sight pictures are not forbidden unless there are psted match rules prohibiting it. In IDPA they bing you for a procedural.

At a minimum. It could also earn you an FTDR. Site pictures are philisophically in the same class as round counting and individual walkthroughs. Dry firing may cause the SO to have a heart attack :blink:

At a minimum. It could also earn you an FTDR

The comment was refering to another type of game. In that game there is NO FTDR. sorry for the confusion.

You are correct in IDPA there is NO SIGHT PICTURES ALLOWED.

Ok, I can say that to me the real world (not idpa and not any other game) application of my shooting skills is at the utmost of importance to me. I carry every day. method for loading the gun as taught to me by one of the best pistol tacticians i know.

lock the slide back

insert magazine

press the slide release using the weapons own energy to chamber the round, do not interfere in any way.

grasb the slide pull it out of battery just enough to insure the round is chambered.

Many people can see/feel/know the round into the chamber... i can say yes i can do that too... but do i trust it 100% of the time... NO. Press check once as your loading the pistol.. and for as long as it's on my body I know nobody else unloaded it... if i have to leave my weapon i will press check again when reholstering.

I believe in playing the way you would fight to a certain extent, loading the gun, reloading the gun.. all of those are basic skills that transfer over to the RW(real world)

The press check method I use isgrasbing the slide from beneath the gun and sliding it back ( big hands)

The use of full length guide rods in almost all pistols now is not permissive of the method origionally described so I never train that way. Lets not even think about the possiblity of only being able to coutn to 9 with our hands.

The "press check" seem odd, unnatural, and unsafe. Don't really under stand why is was popular back in the day, but I think it sould stay there, in the past. At an IDPA match, you'll more likely get a warning the first time, and a DQ after that.

My method for verifying that my social gun really has one up the spout:

1. Check that chamber is clear of obstructions and put slide forward on empty chamber.

2. Insert full magazine after inspecting for max round count with witness holes and verifying that another round cannot be inserted in mag.

3. Grab rear of slide with strong hand pinch, draw back like a slingshot and let fly forward from all the way back.

4. Apply safety, or use hammer drop as applicable.

6. Remove magazine and verify that one round has been stripped and top off and re-insert, or re-insert another one that passes the full/not full tests administered in step 2.

7. Holster and get on with it.

Mag capacity and one round stripped verifications can be eliminated when using a Glock by learning what the Extractor position with a round up spout looks like compared to when there is an empty chamber. This difference is visibly noticeable and can be felt with the trigger finger without changing your grip.

This methodology never messes with the chamber and slide lock after loading a round and also achieves 100% verification when practiced properly. This is the way I do it in private with my social gun.

For matches, I just slap a mag in under a closed slide, slingshot it, change mags and holster up. I know exactly what I need to feel in that situation and I have yet to come up a cropper. I don't need to act like a worry-wart in public, I'd rather be smooth, relaxed and very, very slick ;-)

• 5 weeks later...
yes I have seen Segal do it...he is or appears to be quite knowledgable about guns of all types and especially 1911's, but I do think that he was encouraged to do that by the director for effect during that sequence...hopefully he is more savvy than that in real life...

Seagal has always impressed me as a guy with a little knowledge who tries to come across as much more knowledgeable than he actually is. Check out the second Under Siege movie and his ten second lesson on how to fire a Glock: "First you take off the safety...." <click! inserted by sound engineer> Jesus wept. Obviously a gun expert.

I think a lot of people get into the press check as a nervous condition that becomes part of their pre match ritual.

I always press check after loading the gun. It's not a nervous habit, but is very much a part of my pre-stage ritual. (Believe me, I could go on at length on the pre-stage ritual as an important part of shooting well - but that might transition us over into "the Zen of shooting" when the topic is "press checking").

The "press check" seem odd, unnatural, and unsafe. Don't really under stand why is was popular back in the day, but I think it sould stay there, in the past.

I believe the idea was that, with the old "pinch check" method (so-called because the movement of your thumb and forefinger is a pinching together motion), if it turns out the chamber actually is unloaded, you just keep "pinching" until the slide's far enough to the rear to pick up the top round in the magazine, then let go. The gun loads itself. So you can check if the chamber is loaded, and then rectify the situation if it's not, just by continuing the same movement.(NOTE: The only two guns I've ever found on which this will actually work - and it DOES work - are a full-sized Government Model with traditional solid plug and shorty guide rod and the Browning Hi-Power. Of course, at the time this technique was invented, those pretty much were - according to Bruce Gray, anway, who's been shooting "combat pistol" matches since 1972 - the only two guns really used by serious competitors.)

You're right, these days we do have better, safer techniques, and the old pinch check should stay what it is: a reminder of times gone by.

Lucky for us in Kalifornia, or Lawmakers saw this unsafe, press check method, and mandated that all new guns in Kali must have a loaded chamber indicater. Wow they really are in touch with us commoners. :D