Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking To Hire A Coach/trainer

HogDog

I live in Frederick MD, Area 8. I’m a new Open “C” shooter, and I really would like to find a coach/trainer. If anyone can put me in touch with someone, that would be great. I’m planning on taking a two day class at the Universal Shooting Academy this summer, but I’m afraid I’ll need more than just two days to really improve. I bet the $1,000.00 I’ll be spending, airfare, car, hotel etc, could be better spent on a trainer, if I could find one locally. I hope someone out there in cyber space can help me

Just an opinion here, but... My recommendation is to get Saul Kirsch's dry fire book, and maybe some of Matt Burkett's videos first. There is no magic trainer out there that will get you to GM in 6 months. Whilst watching the videos and reading, just ask some of the really good shooters out there at your club to see if you can meet them out there the next time they train. You will learn a tremendous amount and have only spent about $100 and alot of range time. I would bet that most folks out here would agree that although lessons are great to fine tune your game, rounds down range and a ton of dry firing is key. Again, just my $.02..

Mike

Hello,

I agree with the videos, books, and dry fire idea. Also I bet someone in your club will be more than glad to help you out. The best thing you can do is keep quiet at matches and watch and learn for a while. Don't ask why, just do what they do. Keep an open mind to all techniques and advice.

And most important you need the long term will power and desire to get better.

Be Safe !!

Edited by nm3gnr

I have been working with Jake Divita the last few months. It has been the best money I have spent. What a difference it has made. The books and videos are great but live feedback is the best for getting better. You can dry fire all day but if you are doing it wrong, bad practice is bad practice. I am a C Limited shooter and I think I will make A by the end of the year. Because of Jake I have set goals and I will achieve them. Find a trainer that you relate with and have fun. Hope this helps.

PS: I have to diagree with the post above. Ask questions and many questions. I have never found anyone in this sport not willing to help, even durring a match. The people in this sport are great and all have been willing to help. Ask why they do what they do not just copy them. You need to understand why and find what works for you.

Matt

Edited by firematt100

PS: I have to diagree with the post above. Ask questions and many questions. I have never found anyone in this sport not willing to help, even durring a match.

I figure it depends on when the questions are asked.

Asking right before they go up to shoot... bad idea. Asking after the shooter has a good run... great idea.

Respectfully,

Mark Kruger

I took instruction from Frank Garcia a couple of years ago.

The best money ever spent on shooting sports.

If you practice with faulty fundamentals they will multiply exponentially.

I would encourage you to get the best instruction you can afford.

I took instruction from Frank Garcia a couple of years ago.

The best money ever spent on shooting sports.

If you practice with faulty fundamentals they will multiply exponentially.

I would encourage you to get the best instruction you can afford.

Thanks Gunny, just what I needed to hear.

When I first started shooting, I spent 5 months down Copperhead Road when a well-meaning local A-class shooter showed me the "correct" grip. That wasn't fun to unlearn.

I think it's a lot like golf -- hit the course, look around, and you can quickly tell who's developed a swing under some good instruction, and who hasn't. Which isn't to say you can't play golf with a funky, or self-taught swing, but.

I took a group class with Frank Garcia last year, and that was good stuff, and last week I took an individual class, locally, and that was superb, and money well spent, IMO. Think I'm set for a year or so. :)

Best of all, would be being able to train and practice with a local GM on a regular basis, if you have that opportunity. With desire, I can't imagine how quickly one could improve.

I live in Frederick MD, Area 8. I’m a new Open “C” shooter, and I really would like to find a coach/trainer. If anyone can put me in touch with someone, that would be great. I’m planning on taking a two day class at the Universal Shooting Academy this summer, but I’m afraid I’ll need more than just two days to really improve. I bet the $1,000.00 I’ll be spending, airfare, car, hotel etc, could be better spent on a trainer, if I could find one locally. I hope someone out there in cyber space can help me

Max Michel and Travis Tomasie are giving a two day class at the York, PA Summer Blast this year that I am taking. That is very close to you. Ive shot with Max before and he was very helpful to me as a newer competitor (even though he was not being paid). Check out his web site or the Summer Blast thread for info