Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using Graphite Or Powder Lubricant For Magazines?

n2glox

Someone here suggeted using graphite in my mag tube to insure good feeding on my benelli M1 S90. Ihad some recent failures to extract with a new SRM tube (8+1).

Anyone have any opinions about this?

TIA.

Jeff

I read the same thread you are talking about. If KurtM says it is a good idea, my guess is that it is a good idea. I had a couple of the same type malfunctions you were talking about. Cleaned the gun, put powdered graphite down the mag. tube, and everything seems fine now. I also had the red aluminum follower that I changed back to the original Benelli orange plastic. Seems to like the plastic one better.

The only problem that I have is when I use the Winchester AA's, I get that same malfunction you are talking about. Same power shells as the cheap Walmart Federal ammo., but they just won't function in this gun for some reason. The cheap Walmart Federals work great. Go figure.

The only problem that I have is when I use the Winchester AA's, I get that same malfunction you are talking about. Same power shells as the cheap Walmart Federal ammo., but they just won't function in this gun for some reason. The cheap Walmart Federals work great. Go figure.

Mine we're some Heavier but Cheap Remingtons. Dove Loads. 7.5's.

I am getting a reduced recoil spring to help with lighter loads for competition.

Jeff

Edited by n2glox

I have the M2 Tactical. I had to put the "regular" recoil spring in, and I had Benny Hill lighten the bolt. Huge difference. Would not shoot the "Tactical" slugs before, shoots them great now. Funny thing, I shot the regular power Federal 1oz. slugs (I think 1600 fps) prior to changing the recoil spring. They cause jams now, almost like the bolt cycles too fast maybe? The Tactical ones fire as fast as you can pull the trigger.

I also still have the pistol grip stock. I have heard this will also cause a lot of malfunction problems - and they are also the work of the devil :)

Graphiite, or another non-caking dry lube is OK in any tube feeding shotgun IMHO. It serves no ill as long as it doesn't mix with lube and cake up on ya'. I used to do it to my extended tuber's, but now only use it in my TecLoader tubes (open thing) because it's easy to keep fresh and does make a real big difference for me there. I stopped using it in the main tube because it was easier to just keep it clean than to keep it clean and freshly graphited all the time ;-/

I seriously think a good spring in the mag tube coupled with a dry, clean follower made from a material that is slick-as-snot against the metal mag tube is the real ticket here, not just lubing the path in some manner all of the time. Clean and smooth is best IMO. From there, dry lube is an OK additive in the search for increased match reliability, but if it won't function just plain clean, it really may need a spring/follower tweak and the lube is just a band-aid.

Ever since I switched to mag springs from Beven Grams, I have felt a lot better about the way shells "snap" into place on the carrier. Yet the mag still loads smooth and easy to the last round :-)

I seriously think a good spring in the mag tube coupled with a dry, clean follower made from a material that is slick-as-snot against the metal mag tube is the real ticket here, not just lubing the path in some manner all of the time. Clean and smooth is best IMO. From there, dry lube is an OK additive in the search for increased match reliability, but if it won't function just plain clean, it really may need a spring/follower tweak and the lube is just a band-aid.

Ever since I switched to mag springs from Beven Grams, I have felt a lot better about the way shells "snap" into place on the carrier. Yet the mag still loads smooth and easy to the last round :-)

The gun was a little dirty, but not too bad. I cleaned things up and will shoot it a lot this weekend to see if there is a problem. I will also consider putting the original mag follower back in.

Thanks for the tips.

Jeff

Now you got me confused. Failures to extract are WAY different than failures to feed from the magazine. Some of the shells you guys mentioned have VASTLY different rim dimentions and configurations that can cause some of the problems you are seeing in failure to extract, Look for shells that have a very pronounced rim, closer to a 90 degree bend than the radiused bend some of them have, a la WW AA, although most Benellis will run them.

What ever you decide to do, I would stay away from the "reduced" spring in a Benelli, but then again I'm the fool who suggested graphite :lol: KURTM ( and I did type the last with a smile!!!!)

George, I forgot to add, that if you run it in your speed loaders, you ARE running it in your tube. Every time you shove in more shells you are putting at least some graphite into the tube, if just the small amount the shells transfer. Clean dry is good, clean, dry, slppery is better :D KURT

George, I forgot to add, that if you run it in your speed loaders, you ARE running it in your tube. Every time you shove in more shells you are putting at least some graphite into the tube, if just the small amount the shells transfer. Clean and dry is good, clean, dry, slippery is better

I am extremely aware of how that stuff clings and transfers, my hands and my white shooting shirts tell me that ;-)

Myself, I just got tired of pouring it down the tube and uttering the reliability incantations before matches so I went for mondo springs (thanks Beven) and a slippery follower. If there a little magic powder in the tube from my speedloaders, then that's fine.

I don't disagree with using Graphite. I just think a shotgun should run 100% without it first. Then the addition of it is an "increase" in reliability, not be the "only" reason that it runs.