Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Shotgun Setup

charles

I have just bought a remington 11-87 to build into a limited gun for 3-gun and steel matches.  I will be replaceing the barrel that it came with (rifled slug) but i dont know what is the best to put on.  Vent rib or not?  I have ordered my ez loader, extended mag tube, big saftey.  What other goodies can I add to it.  What sightes do you recomend?  Has anyone use the Vang comp with out the ports?  Any one used the comp coil or counter coil recoil reducers?  What recoil pad is the best? Tell me your dream limited gun.   All help would be appreciated.

(Edited by charles at 9:45 pm on Feb. 6, 2002)

Don't get a Vang Comp, they pattern much too tightly.  Get interchangeable chokes instead so you can change them as you need to.

I would get a 21 in barrel with interchangeable chokes.  21 inches is roughly even with an 8 round mag tube.

Sights:  I use a williams ghost ring rear sight and a fiber optic front sight.  That is a fairly popular set up however some very good shooters have been relying solely on fiber optic front sights or a fiber optic front sight and a 10/22 or benelli factory partridge rear sight. A vented rib provides a good base to mount the front sight on to.

I'm not very much into recoil pads or recoil reducers.  My shotguns all have the factory pads, although my 1187 came with quite a cushy pad.  I guess a decelerator might be the best but they might also be too squishy.

My shotgun has an awesome trigger but I don't really think that it's necessary.

Buchanan Bag works shell holders for your gun are almost mandatory.

I would prefer a vent rib with beads, but you won't find those around in 21-22" lengths. (Actually, there might be an 1187 Special Purpose Turkey bbl like that but you might have to buy the gun to get one.) The only question about the beads is can you shoot slugs to point of aim with them. Your other options are to cut a longer barrel down and fit it for screw-in chokes or get the rifle-sighted smoothbore deer barrel.

That's what I've got with a fiber optic front sight and an Ashley Express rear. It's not as fast as beads for shooting steel and it's not as accurate as blade-and-notch sights for slugs, but it's a decent compromise.

If you want to shoot some, ahem, tactical matches, they might have barrel length limitations of 21-22" but I think USPSA doesn't have a restriction.

Use an IC choke for nearly everything but have an M or light modified to reach out and put more pellets on the long shots.

An EasyLoader and an 8+1 magazine extension are necessities. Everything else is personal preference.

Limited shotgunning isn't about the gun, it's about reloading the gun.

I've got a 21" 1187 Turkey gun, it came with twin beads on a vent rib.

I haven't tried slugs yet, but the sight arrangement works very well with birdshot on steel.

The only negative is it needs the gas port drilling out to use light loads.

P.D.

Quote: from Erik Warren on 7:34 pm on Feb. 6, 2002

An EasyLoader and an 8+1 magazine extension are necessities. Everything else is personal preference.

Limited shotgunning isn't about the gun, it's about reloading the gun.

I thought easyloaders and side-saddles were only allowed in open class?

EasyLoader is the loading gate or ramp which guides shells into the magazine. It's legal.

TecLoaders and similar types of "speed loaders" are the tubes which you use to shove four shells in with one fell swoop. They are not Limited legal.

Charles, Phil has got the hot 1187 setup if you don't mind the drilling. They don't make such a barrel for the 1100 or I'd have one.