Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrony Question Win White Box Update 4/26

Kyreb

Short story: I recently upgraded from a standard red to a standard green Chrony. The results from the green one seem "quicker" than those from the old unit and various club chronographs I had used in the past.

I ran some Winchester "White box" 180 TCs over it yesterday. Average velocity was 1022, PF 184.

It was 80 deg F, sunny , low humidity. (for Houston in April)

Jeff Maass pages give 1046.8 velocity and 190.PF. No firearm data listed.

Just curious if anyone else had ever run a check on this stuff. Rick

UPDATE: Last night at the local Tuesday night match two other competitors brought chronographs. We set them up in sucession and I tried my loads. Short Story: My suspicions were confirmed. My Chrony is registering right at 100 FPS faster than it should be.

Looks like I will be on the phone with them today.

Edited by Kyreb

Your best bet is to chrono the same loads over two or three different chrono's at the same time so you get an idea how your chrono's measurments compare to other ones. And what someone lists on a webpage as velocity is not what you should expect from your gun. Barrels make a big difference.

I had a green one that ran 60 fps faster than anyone elses chrono. As others have stated, check it against a chrono that you trust.

This is almost exactly where I think mine stands. I hope to get a chane to compare it with some other chronos to confirm. Just have not had the chance. Rick

If you just got it then send it back. Your lucky to find out the problem now. I went minor the year that I bought mine. I got no where with the company. I have since bought a CED and have been dead on with the chronos at major matches.

Good luck.

I have had the thing awhile. Over the last year, I have been finishing up a degree at night school and relocating to Houston, I have not had much chance to work with it.

I am seriously thinking about offering it on EBay and buying something more trustworthy.