Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please Help With 1911 Custom

packed

Ok first of all I know nothing about 1911's and USPSA/IPSC shooting. All I know is I want to be a part in this. I shoot smaill stuff now with an XD-40 like plates and pins at matches infact first one this comeing weekend. I want a new custom 1911 I don't know if I need a bushing or a bull nose or what the difference is. A short or long dust cover or what it is. a traditional slide tracker or a tracker style or what the difference is. I hope I am asking thiis question in the correct place? Can a few of you please help me to understand a few or couple of these things? I want a 40 S&W dbl stack because of the 17+1 I also know STI has a good frame I hear some use caspian frames but don't know if they are good. Please help if you can. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The standard in S_I and .40 is the STI "Edge", about $1700 retail. 140mm (USPSA) legal mags can be had easily that hold 20+1. You can add or take weight away as suits you.

There are too many options, accessories and custom touches to even begin to list. My advice, and you'll probably hear it echoed here by most, is to go to a match with what you have now and enjoy yourself while you ask questions and test drive other shooter's guns.

Find out what YOU like before you buy. It's the shooting sports version of "measure twice, cut once" and it keeps you from spending money three or four times while you try to figure things out.

A used factory STI can go from anywhere around $1200 or so depending on mags, rig etc. New custom can top out at over $3500 before plating or mags if you're not careful. I would suggest against high end, personalized custom for right now, because, to be blunt, you really don't know what you want or need, so why spend the mega-bux getting something with fingerprint ID and landau roof?

Hope that helped.

Edited by dirtypool40

the standard in S_I and .40 is the STI "Edge", about $1700.

No problem I am looking to spend 2100.00 if needed. thought it might be better to have it custom built? I would get more for the money no? I also know I want it hardchromed.

The standard in S_I and .40 is the STI "Edge", about $1700. 140mm (USPSA) legal mags can be had easily that hold 20+1. You can add or take weight away as suits you.

There are too many options, accessories and custom touches to even begin to list. My advice, and you'll probably hear it echoed here by most, is to go to a match with what you have now and enjoy yourself while you ask questions and test drive other shooter's guns.

Find out what YOU like befor eyou buy. It's the shooting sports version of "measure twice, cut once" and it keeps you from spending money three or four times while you try to figure things out.

Hope that helped.

Yes thak you. Edited by packed

No problem I am looking to spend 2100.00 if needed. thought it might be better to have it custom built? I would get more for the money no? I also know I want it hardchromed.

$2100 on the whole rig, or just on the gun?? Either way, you're probably not going to be able to afford a brand new custom gun. You're right that the custom route usually has a better build, but it also comes with a larger price tag. A used custom blaster might be right up your alley, though.

+1 to what DP40 says about going to matches and trying stuff out. Make sure you buy the right thing the first time. Also, +1 to what he says about starting out basic, and not going full zoot right out the gate ;)

$2100 on the whole rig, or just on the gun?? Either way, you're probably not going to be able to afford a brand new custom gun. You're right that the custom route usually has a better build, but it also comes with a larger price tag. A used custom blaster might be right up your alley, though.

+1 to what DP40 says about going to matches and trying stuff out. Make sure you buy the right thing the first time. Also, +1 to what he says about starting out basic, and not going full zoot right out the gate ;)

Well Benny Hill will build me one for 2150.00 and tripresearch about the same. I just don't understand as to what I want? they talk like they know guns because they do. But I cannot keep up or ask the right questions to know what I want.

I think what Dave may be trying to say is the gun is *part* of the kit, but not all of it. There are mags, a belt, a holster and mag pouches just to get ready to step to the line.

But of course you'll need to feed that racehorse some oats, too. Will you be shooting factory ammo, or are you already setup to do reloading? You can shoot factory, but your best performance will come from rolling your own. By that I'm not talking about dialing up hair-splitting loads. This isn't Bullseye. It's just that with reloading you get a lot more rounds for your money and your skills will progress faster (you don't spend any less - you just get more bangs for your bucks :) ).

Don't let what I'm saying put you off. It is do-able as many of us can attest, but it helps to plan all the way through without getting in a rush.

Before making any decisions, go to some matches with what you have and start asking questions. IPSC shooters LOVE to talk about this stuff and almost every one I know loves to show what they have to anyone who'll stand still (including me :rolleyes: ). They'll let you shoot them, too.

Edited by ima45dv8

I think what Dave may be trying to say is the gun is *part* of the kit, but not all of it. There are mags, a belt, a holster and mag pouches just to get ready to step to the line.

But of course you'll need to feed that racehorse some oats, too. Will you be shooting factory ammo, or are you already setup to do reloading? You can shoot factory, but your best performance will come from rolling your own. By that I'm not talking about dialing up hair-splitting loads. This isn't Bullseye. It's just that with reloading you get a lot more rounds for your money and your skills will progress faster (you don't spend any less - you just get more bangs for your bucks :) ).

Don't let what I'm saying put you off. It is do-able as many of us can attest, but it helps to plan all the way through without getting in a rush.

Before making any decisions, go to some matches with what you have and start asking questions. IPSC shooters LOVE to talk about this stuff and almost every one I know loves to show what they have to anyone who'll stand still (including me :rolleyes: ). They'll let you shoot them, too.

I agree. Try before you spend big dollars. If you post your general location I'm sure BE Forum members will be glad to shoot with you and let you try our latest and oldest too. I let new shooters try out my guns whenver asked. Give it a try. You'll be glad you did and will save lots of $$ and get lots of good adise o what works and what does not with respect to guns, ammo, rigs, etc. Have fun!!

Well Benny Hill will build me one for 2150.00 and tripresearch about the same. I just don't understand as to what I want? they talk like they know guns because they do. But I cannot keep up or ask the right questions to know what I want.

If you get either of their guns you will have a quality piece of equiptment that will serve you well, even if you don't know what you want or don't know what questions to ask.

I'm guessing about $250 for belt, holster and mag pouches. Another $240 for untuned basic mags. Add another $45 per mag is you want different followers and basepads to up capacity. Add another $40 per mag to have them tuned. So your looking at $320 to have mags tuned at max capacity. Theres another $810

So your looking at $2,920 to get started with Benny's gun. I think you will love any gun you get from any of the smiths mentioned.

Do you already have mags, holster, belt and pouches?????

This is what I would recommend

Long dustcover More weight out front to keep recoil down(i like the looks of it)

Full profile slide More weight out front to keep the recoil down(I like the looks)

egw sear-hardened competition sear

Koenig hammer-ultralight hammer to get a light trigger pull

Tri glide trigger from SV-allows you to pick what type of trigger face you have, they have different shapes that allow you find one that fits you best

Dawson Ice magwell-though I dont' have one yet, love how it feels

SV ambi safety-best safety I have found yet

Aftec extractor-I have one but have not installed it yet. Theres too many top shooters using this for it not to be good.

Check out the recoilmaster- mixed reviews on it, do some searching

Make all the rest of the small parts STI-quaility parts, they will do the job

Just do a search on all the parts and you find plenty of info on them.

How much have you shot????

Theres smiths out there who won't give you a ultralight trigger pull if your just starting out. Its a safety thing and I don't blame them. My trigger pull is around 2lbs and I can't see why I would need to go any lighter.

Flyin40