Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The ultimate gamer load!

Steve Anderson

Well, actually it's sub minor, but nice and soft.

Load a 115 grain 9mm bullet in a 9mm case over 3.8 grains of Clays, then shoot it out of a .40 pistol.

Chronographs at 296 fps.

Oops.

That's what you get for having Beretta elite II's in 2 calibers, taking both to the range, and chronogrphing 9 and .40 in the same session with the same magazines...

SA

once had that in a match: Shot a 40 out of the 45 gun; A hit, last shot. Lotsa discussion whether the hit should count. In the end it did (no rule book item speaks against it). Good it wasn't a popper...

--Detlef

I tried to shoot L10 and Open both this year. I have a job so I can say don't if you do. Loaded a couple 180 gr .40 in a super case(hurryng and busy). Yea it swelled up and went out the barrel. Didn't extract and dont remember if it hit the target.

I have seen many 9mm fired out of .40/.45 with less than satisfactory results.        

Appendix C:

...All initial calibration checks shall be conducted from the closest possible point (directly up range) where a competitor could shoot at the popper, all challenged calibrations, must be done from the approximate point where the competitor shot at the target.

thanks, that's not quite what I thought: You can engage from anywhere you can see (angle or not), if it doesn't fall you ask for calib. Calib is done about from where you shot. It doesn't fall -> reshoot. However, initial calib is probably done from a different point, and do *you* always ask for calib when a popper doesn't go down or do you (like me) shoot again (= lose time)?

--Detlef

Not from anywhere but from the closest point. If it fails the calibration is done from as close to where the shooter shot. Forward/Backward doesn't matter. Most stages have a freestyle approach shoot them as you see them. Usually an angle shot is not the closest position( probably not hitting with full force either) but could be(not very often- think about it) so stage design is critical(vision barriers etc). I don't get on local match designers because if you ran a match(I have at least a  hundred) you would understand why not to. Its hard enough to get 3 people to help you set up, much less "bulletproof" stages. Thats why some clubs "pretend" vision barrier extends from ground to infinity etc. Now big matches have no excuse. In theory locals are the same but???

(Edited by BSeevers at 9:18 pm on Aug. 6, 2002)

Steve,

The "initial calibration"...it is seldom done at local matches.  Call it...part of the stage setup.  It is done at larger matches.  At the Nationals, for example, all the poppers are calibrated (shot with a gun that is close to 125pf) every morning.

When a shooter calls for a calibration, like Bill and Detlef posted, it should be done from where the shooter shot the popper.

• 2 weeks later...

BSeevers,

"Loaded a couple 180 gr .40 in a super case(hurryng and busy)."

I must not be undestanding what you're saying. It sounds like you loaded two 180-gr. .40 bullets in a .38 Super case, or alternately you loaded one each 180-gr. .40 bullets into .38 Super cases. How is that possible? Would they fit in the cases? Would they chamber? Would they exit the barrel? Would they not blow up the gun?

Duane

Yes I did this and was embarassed. Loaded a 180 gr .40 in a 38 Super case, twice, and shot one at practice. It swelled up and went out the barrel, left a dirty residue in gun. I know this is what happened as I unloaded my mag and found second ".40 Super" round. By the way 5.1 gr of 320 :-)