Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cylinder Release Catch

The Brit.

Not too sure what the correct term is for it, but I'd like to change the cylinder release catch on my Taurus .45acp revolver. When I'm reloading, sometimes I fail to get a correct grip with my thumb and struggle to get the cylinder out. I'd like to fit an 'oversized' button. I'm told a s&w one will fit with a little bit of modification. Has/does anyone use an aftermarket extended release catch? If so, can you let me know where you bought it from and how much? I'm after SS to match the gun. I've had a quick look on Brownells web site but it is mainly descriptions on there, and as I'm not sure what It's correct title is I may end up ordering something I shouldn't!!

Thanks.

My wife and I both use Pinnacles cylinder release (Mark Hartshorne) and it is excellent.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Just phoned Pinnacle guns and gave Mark my CC number. One cylinder release on it's way!

Thanks.

I tried my revolver last night with the cylinder release fitted from Mark at Pinnicle guns - Excellent!! just the job. I've also had the cylinder machined to take 'proper' moon clips instead of the 18 thou jobbies you get with the gun. Looking forward to my first comp with it now.

Hi,

Just phoned Pinnacle guns and gave Mark my CC number. One cylinder release on it's way!

Thanks.

I tried my revolver last night with the cylinder release fitted from Mark at Pinnicle guns - Excellent!! just the job. I've also had the cylinder machined to take 'proper' moon clips instead of the 18 thou jobbies you get with the gun. Looking forward to my first comp with it now.

If I may ask who did the machining for you.

al

If I may ask who did the machining for you.

al

Al,

It was the gunsmith co-owner of the shooting centre I am a member of. He will also be doing a trigger job and chamfering the cylinder chambers. I now need a re-mooning tool to load the moon clips as they are very 'tight' compared to the originals that came with the gun. One positive concerning using standard moonclips is the price. I paid $7.50 for each of the slim ones made to suit the Taurus (18thou), I pay 85c each for the standard clips(40thou). I've bought 40 of them so I don't need to strip and reload clips during a comp.

Cheers,

Ian C.

Hi Ian,

Looks like you're nearly ready for your comp. sorry I can't be there. :(

Was the cylinder release a direct replacement or did you (or Steve) have to fit it? I was wondering if they would fit the Taurus aircartridge revolver as well??

I saw an interesting moonclip job done on a .357 the other day. It worked very well, without machining the cylinder at all, & of course he'll have the extra shot advantage over you!

Good luck with the comp

Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry you can't make it, you'll be missing a good comp. The cylinder release catch required some fitting but nothing Steve couldn't handle.

No matchining on the cylinder eh? What did he do, take some out of the frame??. He's welcome to the extra shot, there is just that something about shooting the .45acp that rocks my boat, prob. cause it was my first competition gun calibre all those years ago!!