Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vv N105 In A G35 Or G24?

mleeber

I am shooting a G35 for limited but have a G24 and G24C that I also want to play with. I am using Zero 180 JHPs over VV N330 for limited in the G35 but want to try both 3N37 and N105. 3N37 data is plentiful but I have not found any N105 data (done many searches here with no results).

I am building an open gun out of the 24C as an experiment (using the stock barrel) to see how close I can get to a real flat-shooting race gun. I have been toying with 3N37 very near max load with the Nosler 135gr JHP but I think N105 would give the comp more umph.

Anyone have any N105 data they can share? The VV manual only lists N105 with 180gr bullets. I sure could use a starting load and max load (and anything in between) for the 135 gr Nosler.

Thanks!

Mark

I wouldn't see it as a great load for Limited - you're going to send a lot of gas out the front, just bumping up the perceived recoil.

For Open... I don't have any direct data in .40 - according VV's manual, 8.3 of 3N37 more than makes Major. Based on my .38 Super data, it'll take a good bit more N105 than 3N37. 7.5-7.8 or so of 3N37 probably nets around 1222 (which is 165PF w/ a 135), so figure 8.5 as a starting point for N105, and I'd expect it'll take more like 9.0 to make Major reliably.

Again - that's a guess. My experience in .38 Super with N105 is that you basically can't get into trouble with it with a load that fits in the case - but we're talking about a different cartridge entirely, here. A .40 case holds about the same volume of powder, roughly speaking - it'll hold 13-ish grains of N105 when filled. Always proceed carefully when working up a load...!!!!

Unfortunately, I think you're working in unknown territory, here. You might bounce some ideas off of VV - you might get some good data there...

I agree with what Xre said but want to explain farther. The N-105 will build so much gas that, once the bullet clears the bore, there will still be a ton of gas that exits the muzzle and negates whatever the porting did. If you do not have a full blown 2 or 3+ chamber comp, forget about N-105. I shoot N-105 occasionally in my 9x25 and it is a great powder.

Also, N-105 is one of those powders that is not forgiving. For every 1/10 grain that you add, the pressure and velocity WILL go up accordingly. It is very linear and does not "taper off" as pressures get high. You can blow up a gun if you screw up even slighty.

My recommendation, if you insist on trying it, would be to start at the max published load and use a 135gr bullet instead. Work up the load until you reach the velocity you need or run out of case capacity.

Good luck,

leo