Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marine Cups

Adam B

I am thinking about getting the marine cups, do they make a difference at all? I am using a light striker spring and was thinking that they may solve the once in 1000 or so light primer strikes. Any ideas?

Look at some marine cups and use your Dremel to notch the cups. The only reason for marine cups is to allow water past the cups if the firing pin channel is full of water.

Lay your striker down with the arm up and toward you, the firing pin pointing away from you. Make a 45 degree cut on the right side of the striker arm. Then reduce the depth of the arm by 1/2. Using your Dremel cut off tool make longitudinal cuts under where the spacer sleeve rides the striker. I run a very light cut down OEM striker spring and get 100% ignition w/CCI primers.

Sorry I don't have a camera.

How did you come to the conclusion that marine cups won't help? Dirty spring cups / firing pin channel is one of the main reasons the quality of my trigger pull deteriorates. If it applies retracting the striker, surely it applies when the striker travels forward. Cutting the bearing surface by 1/2 would sure seem to be a winner from a friction reduction standpoint.

If I can get my paws on a mini plastic molding machine, one of my first projects is going to be a marine-like spring cup made out of lube-impregnated Delrin. 99.99% positive that it will have a very beneficial effect on the trigger pull. It may not do much to reduce the weight, but it will do wonders for keeping it more consistent over time.

My 2...

Edited by EricW

I hope that helps. I run a cut off OEM striker spring that's very light. With the lightened striker it's 100% w/all primers. In fact my carry loads use CCI.

If you cut coils off the OEM striker spring, you actually increased the spring weight, not lightened it -- I'm sure that's not what you meant to say, but just clarifying for anyone who's grinding down their striker, and hacking up their springs.... :)

Whatever you want to call it. I cut some coils off and NOW it's shorter( imagine that). Using the shorter OEM striker spring and a lightened striker + other mods I have a 2lb trigger measured from the center of the trigger. It has minimal take up and you'd be hard pressed to tell it from a well tuned 1911.

It 100% reliable and lights off all brands of primers.

One thing I'd do, if you don't want to jump into the wild mods is this, and I must warn you I got into heep big trouble last time I posted this.

If you reload and use a progressive press, after the round is loaded use a hand primer and make sure all the primers are properly seated. If you use a single stage press I would suggest hand priming using a RCBS hand priming tool. Why the RCBS? It has a baffle to prevent a blown primer from going back into the primer reservoir and detonating all the primers.

Like I said I got a lot of static last time this was posted stating how dangerous it is. I've done it for 10 of Ks of loads with no problem.

SOOOOOOOO draw your own conclusions.:)

"If I can get my paws on a mini plastic molding machine, one of my first projects is going to be a marine-like spring cup made out of lube-impregnated Delrin. 99.99% positive that it will have a very beneficial effect on the trigger pull. It may not do much to reduce the weight, but it will do wonders for keeping it more consistent over time."

Eric:

If you have a machine shop, (mill and lathe) you can get a book on ebay "how to build a plastic injection molding machine" and build a small one yourself.

Delrin is available with anywhere from 2%-15% PTFE (Teflon) fill. We use it a lot for bearings, plungers, bushings - anything requiring a molded-in lube.