Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Field Course Or Long Course?

TNK

Is there a difference between a field course and a long course? I ask because I hear people say "field course," when referring to longer stages, but there is no mention of a field course in the USPSA rule book. The book refers to short, medium, and long courses only, all based on round count. Is the term "field course" a synonym for a long course, or does "field course" imply something special in the way the stage is designed? While the book recommends at least one long course for a local match, it does not recommend or stipulate a "field course."

Thanks in advance for your replies. I just became a Range Officer, and I am still learning the details of the sport.

Is there a difference between a field course and a long course? I ask because I hear people say "field course," when referring to longer stages, but there is no mention of a field course in the USPSA rule book. The book refers to short, medium, and long courses only, all based on round count. Is the term "field course" a synonym for a long course, or does "field course" imply something special in the way the stage is designed? While the book recommends at least one long course for a local match, it does not recommend or stipulate a "field course."

Thanks in advance for your replies. I just became a Range Officer, and I am still learning the details of the sport.

The field course is what used to be called the assualt course, now it's a long course. Although it could be a medium course, I guess. Of course we used to have hostages, now we have no-shoots.

Edited by GeorgeInNePa

The 2004 "Green Book" which USPSA is still operating under states:

1.2 Types of Courses

IPSC matches may contain the following types of courses of fire:

1.2.1 General Courses of Fire:

1.2.1.1 “Short Courses” must not require more than 9 rounds to

complete and no more than 2 shooting locations.

1.2.1.2 “Medium Courses” must not require more than 16 rounds to

complete and no more than 3 shooting locations. Course

design and construction must not require more than 9 scoring

hits from any single location or view, nor allow a competitor

to eliminate a location or view in the course of fire

by shooting all available targets at an earlier location or

view.

1.2.1.3 “Long Courses” must not require more than 32 rounds to

complete. Course design and construction must not require

more than 9 scoring hits from any single location or view,

nor allow a competitor to eliminate a location or view in the

course of fire by shooting all available targets at an earlier

location or view.

1.2.1.4 The recommended balance for an IPSC match is a ratio of

3 Short Courses to 2 Medium Courses to 1 Long Course.

Personally I don't like the cap at 32 rounds. although it isn't that onerous. It used to be a Suggestion, not anymore. At least the mix is still a suggestion.

Personally I think of a Field Course and one where you run/move through the COF it could be a "Medium or a Long" course. Short Courses used to be known as "Speed Shoots"

Why we have to chenge the names, I don' t know. Most people that have been around any legth of time seem to understand what you are saying and alternate between the two.

Jim

+1 to Jim.

Short, Medium, Long determined by round count.

Speed Shoot = Common term used to describe a stage where the shooter shoots from one position.

Field Course = Common term used to descrive a stage where the shooter is Moving around to find targets and engage them. AKA - Run and Gun

Personally I don't like the cap at 32 rounds. although it isn't that onerous. It used to be a Suggestion, not anymore. At least the mix is still a suggestion.

If there wasn't a limit we'd be totally screwing the guys in Limited 10, revolver and production! Can you imagine trying to carry enough speedloaders to shoot a +50 round stage with a 6 round wheel-gun? You'd need to have a waistine like Fat Albert!

If there wasn't a limit we'd be totally screwing the guys in Limited 10, revolver and production! Can you imagine trying to carry enough speedloaders to shoot a +50 round stage with a 6 round wheel-gun? You'd need to have a waistine like Fat Albert!

My name isn't Albert but I resemble that remark.

Okay 50+ might be excessive, but every L10 shooter I know goes to the line with a mag for the gun and at least 4 mag pouches loaded. That's 50. Revolver shooters might be another case. Any way you add it up. It will present the same challenge for each shooter in that class.

Don't forget, 1.2.1.3 “Long Courses” must not require more than 32 rounds to

complete. Course design and construction must not require

more than 9 scoring hits from any single location or view,

nor allow a competitor to eliminate a location or view in the

course of fire by shooting all available targets at an earlier

location or view.

Those 30 round hoser fest from one box are really fun at a club match, but you shouldn't see it at a State, Area, or larger match.

Personally I think of a Field Course and one where you run/move through the COF it could be a "Medium or a Long" course. Short Courses used to be known as "Speed Shoots"

Yup.

Field course = movement, props, numerous positions, higher round count

Not a field course (classifier, standards, speed shoot) = stand in a box, no props, test of basic shooting skills

No "official" definitions, just common jargon in the sport.