Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw Out Salve

Round_Gun_Shooter

Interesting. How the heck does it work?

It is frikkin majic :D

All I know is it smells like road tar. Put it on the area, put a band aid on and next AM the splinter was in the ban aid. Did it again and the second piece came out. I am a believer.

Monday night I couldn't hold a grip on my revolver. Thursday night all better.

Gary

My grand mother would make a poltice with a clean cloth, real butter( homemade) and kerosene, wrap it around cuts, scrapes and minor burns,splinters, thorns and cactus needles. She said it would draw out the splinters and posion. Must have worked, most of us lived.------Larry

Edited by lkytx

I remember my mom using that stuff on me years ago. Your right, it smell horrible, but it works great. I got "bit" by a blister bug when I was a young lad and she used it on me then. I haven't seen it in years though, didn't know they still made it.

Larry and bierman are right-the stuff is used for all kinds of things.

If you've read some of my posts, you'll see that I am, uhh, well, mechanically challenged is probably how we'd say it today. Two left feet, clumsy, etc. is what we called it when I was a kid. I would get a rusty fish hook stuck in me and the spot would get infected so Grandad would put that drawing salve on the infection, and in a day or two all was okay. Same for nasty splinters that were too deep to pick out with a needle.

No doctor, no antibiotics, just the drawing salve and, as noted before, it must have worked as I'm still here.

Seems by the late sixties/early 70s everyone went to the emergency room or doctor with these things and people apparently forgot these "home remedies" that worked.

Like castor oil for example. But that's another story.

Bob

Flyin40;

I used to say that, too, until the day I "fixed" my ingrown toenail. About three weeks later, after the infection was under control, and after the doctor had released me....

That was 20 years and several knives ago. At work they still tease me about my "self-surgery."

Bob

LOL, I have never had that problem. I have did it a thousand times, I always clean the knife and then finish the wound with peroxide and then Benodyn. You have to make sure its clean. I know what you mean on ingrown tonails. I have to take care of mine every couple months.

Flyin40

Hit the knife on the stone a few times and I'm in business. Nice clean slice and just about anything will pop out. :huh:

Flyin40

That has always been the case with me until this time. 2 splinters in same location. To make it worse, one was metal but the other was fiberglass. Knife cut was getting too deep and the infection was setting in. On tough ones, I usually let them get a little infected and then pop them out.

My hand kept healing over the area making it worse. Finally put the salve on and it took care of everything. I will never be without it again. One for home, one for truck.

Regards,